A group of Roosters

< Previous | Next >

italian_junkie

American English
Does anyone know of a proper collective name for a group of roosters?? I know roosters are competitive and so probably would not readily form all-male groups. Therefore a word for such might not exist, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway...

Examples:
Flock of chickens
Peep of Chicks
Clutch of eggs
Brood of Hens
_______ of Roosters

Thanks!!

• Copyright

American English
    I believe it is a brood or flock of chickens whatever their sex. If there's not a particular boy's club for them, perhaps it's because there aren't usually enough roosters left alive to form any group of a size worth naming.

mplsray

Does anyone know of a proper collective name for a group of roosters?? I know roosters are competitive and so probably would not readily form all-male groups. Therefore a word for such might not exist, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway...

Examples:
    Flock of chickens
    Peep of Chicks
    Clutch of eggs
    Brood of Hens
    _______ of Roosters

Thanks!!
    If such a thing were to happen, it would be a flock of roosters, as Copyright's post suggests.

I do find examples on the Internet of male fowl flocking together, at least at certain times of the year. They're referred to as cocks, however--"rooster" is a euphemistic term pretty much limited to the male of the domesticated chicken, and then mostly limited to American English. (I will note, however, that the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary says "rooster" is used for some male fowl other than males of the domestic chicken and the OED says it is also used in some English dialects.)

Ann O'Rack

UK
    UK English
    The topic of collective nouns often gives rise to long and humorous discussions of what the correct word is, but I don't know of any for roosters. (I would be tempted to talk about "a crow of roosters", but that would just be my own feeble attempt at humour and not something I've read anywhere.)

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Still recovering from the loud rooster who has decided to spend the winter on my back porch...the fox ate all the neighbor's hens...I would suggest a cacophony of roosters.

Myridon

English - US
    As with cuchuflete's example, a great many of these collective nouns are of humorous origin and not actually collected from the wild (real usage by people).
    I would venture to say that this is the case with "brood of hens" and "peep of chicks".
    A clutch of eggs is a different thing altogether as it refers to the eggs laid by one bird in one laying session (which could last several days) and not a random grouping of eggs. A brood (the noun meaning is group of young cared for together) of chicks would hatch from a clutch. A "brood of hens" is humorously based on the way hens brood (the verb meaning "sit on eggs") over their clutch, but it seems confusing since the normal meaning of brood applies to the chicks.

italian_junkie

American English
    Thanks for all the comments!! Some of your recommendations are quite amusing!!

I will verify that, in my local vernacular (Southeast MO, US), the collective terms I listed are correct and pretty standard for us (but am in no way asserting that they are the only appropriate terms). They were an exemplar and I am not seeking corrections for them.

I was strictly curious as to whether anyone knew of any Common term for a group of male domestic chickens (**rooster and cock are interchangeable terms for these guys in my locality). Having raised guineas and chickens I have often seen a rooster ruling over his brood (**what we call a group of hens) but I've never experienced any 'bachelor troops' of roosters, so have never heard of a name for such a collective.

Just out of curiosity, I thought I would see if anybody had heard of one. Perhaps someone familiar with cock-fighting vernacular, as that is the only instance I can think of where there would be a collection of roosters/cocks--as distasteful as that occasion would be.

< Previous | Next >