a guest turn on a Major Lazer song banked

Jins Park

Korean
Hello, everyone

I have some problem to understand below sentence.

She has social numbers to rival the band’s, a guest turn on a Major Lazer song banked and enough studio time booked to successfully capitalize on what seems, in retrospect, like an inevitable transition to solo stardom.

In this sentence, what does mean by she has ~~~~, a guest turn on a Major Lazer song banked'?

Thank you so much.

Last edited:
  • Jins Park

Korean
    Source? (as always)
    source: billboard
    and the whole sentence is
    < --- > The singer, who had collaborated outside of 5H for some time, released the darkly sexy rap-romp single “Bad Things” with Machine Gun Kelly last October, and it climbed the charts. (It’s now No. 1 on the Mainstream Top 40 Chart.) And that’s not even her first hit: “I Know What You Did Last Summer,” her 2015 duet with Shawn Mendes, peaked at No. 20 on the Billboard Hot 100. She has social numbers to rival the band’s (3.4 million to 5H’s 3.8 million on Twitter and 8.8 million to 8.2 million on Instagram), a guest turn on a Major Lazer song banked and enough studio time booked to successfully capitalize on what seems, in retrospect, like an inevitable transition to solo stardom. “< --- >

<Edited to reduce text to comply with 4-sentence limit (Rule 4) on quotation. Cagey, moderator >

Last edited by a moderator:

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    It's a figurative use of bank2

v.
    5. to keep or deposit (money) in a bank: [~ + object]
    banked her salary.
    It's common to use the word 'bank' figuratively to express the idea that we have secure possession of something for future use. The singer has the promise that she will sing on a Major Lazer song.

Jins Park

Korean
    It's a figurative use of bank2

v.
    5. to keep or deposit (money) in a bank: [~ + object]
    banked her salary.
    It's common to use the word 'bank' figuratively to express the idea that we have secure possession of something for future use. The singer has the promise that she will sing on a Major Lazer song.
    Thank you :) so does that mean 'she will make a guest(like a fan) turn on(like turn on(listen to) the music) a Major Lazer song that she will sing on?'

Cagey

English - US
    When a singer 'does a turn', she sings part of the song. She is going to sing part of the song.

(If I knew about this kind of music, I would be able to explain why singing a Major Lazer song is an indication that her career is going very well.)

Added: This definition from turn - definition of turn in English | Oxford Dictionaries may be helpful:

3.1 A short performance, especially one of a number given by different performers in succession.
    ‘Lewis gave her best ever comic turn’
    ‘he was asked to do a turn at a children's party’

Last edited:

Jins Park

Korean
    When a singer 'does a turn', she sings part of the song. She is going to sing part of the song.

(If I knew about this kind of music, I would be able to explain why singing a Major Lazer song is an indication that her career is going very well.)

Added: This definition from turn - definition of turn in English | Oxford Dictionaries may be helpful:

3.1 A short performance, especially one of a number given by different performers in succession.
    ‘Lewis gave her best ever comic turn’
    ‘he was asked to do a turn at a children's party’
    She has social numbers to rival the band’s, a guest turn on a Major Lazer song banked

Ummm... sorry for asking a stupid question again :(

so that means 'she (who will sing part of the song) has a guest(maybe another singer) who will turn on a Major Lazer song banked with her?

or just a guest turn is one term?

Cagey

English - US
    'A guest turn' is one term. It means that she will perform as a guest on a Major Lazer song. I don't know who will be the main singer of that song. Is Major Lazer a singer?

Jins Park

Korean
    'A guest turn' is one term. It means that she will perform as a guest on a Major Lazer song. I don't know who will be the main singer of that song. Is Major Lazer a singer?
    Oh!! I totally got it now. I appreciate it.

and YES, Major Lazer is a singer :) Major Lazer writes songs usually. and another singer features them.

fiercediva

American English
    This story is about the former member of female vocal quintet Fifth Harmony, Camila Cabello. "5H" was one of those groups put together by Simon Cowell from individual singing competition contestants, as with the internationally successful boy group One Direction.

Camila, after making a handful of solo guest appearances on other artists' releases, served sudden notice that she would be leaving her group for a solo career. Naturally this threw 5H's young, devoted fandom of "harmonizers" into a tizzy. While the remaining four soldier on as 5H, a snippet of Cabello singing on a track from the yet-to-be-released fourth album from popular electronic dance music trio Major Lazer was uploaded to social media last month. Billboard believes this bodes well for her solo success. Major Lazer's main member is the producer and DJ Diplo; while he does sing, he is not a lead vocalist, so he typically has guest artists like Cabello, Justin Bieber or Ariana Grande collaborate on the main vocals for the trio's songs.

Jins Park

Korean
    This story is about the former member of female vocal quintet Fifth Harmony, Camila Cabello. "5H" was one of those groups put together by Simon Cowell from individual singing competition contestants, as with the internationally successful boy group One Direction.

Camila, after making a handful of solo guest appearances on other artists' releases, served sudden notice that she would be leaving her group for a solo career. Naturally this threw 5H's young, devoted fandom of "harmonizers" into a tizzy. While the remaining four soldier on as 5H, a snippet of Cabello singing on a track from the yet-to-be-released fourth album from popular electronic dance music trio Major Lazer was uploaded to social media last month. Billboard believes this bodes well for her solo success. Major Lazer's main member is the producer and DJ Diplo; while he does sing, he is not a lead vocalist, so he typically has guest artists like Cabello, Justin Bieber or Ariana Grande collaborate on the main vocals for the trio's songs.
    Thank you for the information :)

< Previous | Next >