A Guide to Tipping Etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.

GingandSpice

English-US
Hello all,

I'm hoping that someone can help me revise a poor English>Japanese translation of the following memo:

A Guide to Tipping Etiquette
The suggested tip for food servers and bartenders in the U.S.A. is 15-20% of total bill for good service. Thank you for dining with us today.

I don't have a text version of the translation to copy/paste, but I have attached a screenshot of the translation that I've done previously. I know that I need help with this translation before I can present it to Japanese customers - Please reach out if you can assist me in making this message more clear and accurate!

Thank you in advance,
Sarah
IMG_20180123_125426.jpg

• frequency

Japanese
    Are you talking about the tip you give every time a waiter services you? Are you talking about the case that a waiter brings you beer of $5, and you give him a tip 15~20% of $5?

チップについて
    チップをウエイターやバーテンダーに払うときは、料金のおおよそ15~20%になります。今日は、ご来店いただき誠にありがとうございます。
    Regarding tip:
    When you tip a waiter or bartender, it is about 15~20% of the fee. Thank you for your visit (to our diner) today.

It is suggesting a general idea about the tips in the US. When we read it, "Oh then we must tip." It's true. And don't forget that can suggest "us" that you don't need to give a tip for a bad service.
    We have many ways to say that, but some may sound pushy like "Give us a tip!" or some may result in conveying a different idea.

Use a tilde between 15 and 20. A bar (-) is okay, too. If you add more info, come back and post anytime.

GingandSpice

English-US
    Are you talking about the tip you give every time a waiter services you? Are you talking about the case that a waiter brings you beer of $5, and you give him a tip 15~20% of $5?

チップについて
    チップをウエイターやバーテンダーに払うときは、料金のおおよそ15~20%になります。今日は、ご来店いただき誠にありがとうございます。
    Regarding tip:
    When you tip a waiter or bartender, it is about 15~20% of the fee. Thank you for your visit (to our diner) today.

It is suggesting a general idea about the tips in the US. When we read it, "Oh then we must tip." It's true. And don't forget that can suggest "us" that you don't need to give a tip for a bad service.
    We have many ways to say that, but some may sound pushy like "Give us a tip!" or some may result in conveying a different idea.

Use a tilde between 15 and 20. A bar (-) is okay, too. If you add more info, come back and post anytime.
    Thank you very much for your help!

In this case, we are looking to talk about the tip you give every time a waiter serves you (which could include drinks you got from the barman as well). We definitely would like to avoid sounding pushy - So your help with suggesting a general idea about tips is perfect for our guests :)

Thanks again!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >