a gully that ran the length of the stable

jacdac

Lebanese
It was the blood from the gaping wound that had once been his throat. It had flooded down both sides of his face, and drained into a gully that ran the length of the stable.’ There was another sob, this time a full-blown heartrending cry. ‘Some bastard had taken a little kid and done that to him! Some sick bastard had bled him like an animal being sacrificed!’
Source: Beware The Past by Joy Ellis
Context: The investigation team at Fenfleet police station is listening to the tape recording of an old case of gruesome murder. The orator is a policeman who discovered the crime scene of a little kid in an outbuilding of a farm cottage.

I understand that gully refers to the external channel formation as in below exhibit A:

upload_2018-6-29_9-50-22.jpeg

Exhibit A: gully

However, in a stable, is gully the right term?

upload_2018-6-29_9-53-50.jpeg

Exhibit B: street gutter.

Would a construction inside a house stable similar to exhibit B called a gully? What would you call it?

Thank you.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Judging by the depth and width and rounded sides, I'd call that a gutter. Something like that in stables would be useless.

Also, gullies (both natural ones and the extended meaning ones) tend to have steep/vertical sides.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    It was the blood from the gaping wound that had once been his throat. It had flooded down both sides of his face, and drained into a gully that ran the length of the stable.’ There was another sob, this time a full-blown heartrending cry. ‘Some bastard had taken a little kid and done that to him! Some sick bastard had bled him like an animal being sacrificed!’
    Source: Beware The Past by Joy Ellis
    Context: The investigation team at Fenfleet police station is listening to the tape recording of an old case of gruesome murder. The orator is a policeman who discovered the crime scene of a little kid in an outbuilding of a farm cottage.

I understand that gully refers to the external channel formation as in below exhibit A:

View attachment 26468
    Exhibit A: gully

However, in a stable, is gully the right term?

View attachment 26469
    Exhibit B: street gutter.

Would a construction inside a house stable similar to exhibit B called a gully? What would you call it?

Thank you.
    I'd call it a gutter or a drain. I find the word gully inappropriate here.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    For me too, a gully is only the natural feature, a small valley. But I am aware that houses have a piece of plumbing called a gully trap, so I'm not surprised that 'gully' is also a technical term for something in plumbing. However, I don't know the word. The everyday words are drain and gutter.

< Previous | Next >