a gust of wind swept the waste

< Previous | Next >

sampathronjay

Sinhala
Does "waste" mean heath here? This is where Jane is walking alone in a particular area. She is describing the surrounding.

Some time passed before I felt tranquil even here: I had a vague dread that wild cattle might be near, or that some sportsman or poacher might discover me. If a gust of wind swept the waste, I looked up, fearing it was the rush of a bull; if a plover whistled, I imagined it a man.

Jane Eyre
Chapter 28

• sdgraham

USA English
    I suspet that it's this meaning from our dictionary:
    WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
    waste /weɪst/ n., adj.
    6. a devastated area, or an area that is unsuitable or considered unsuitable for living, as a desert: [countable]the frozen wastes of the tundra.​

Ponyprof

Canadian English
    The preindustrial world tended to find empty or unfarmed land much more physically and emotionally intimidating than we do now. These places were more dangerous, and women especially much less protected.

We'd be unlikely to call a functioning ecosystem like a moor a "waste" these days but rather an outstanding area of natural beauty, or a nature reserve or something.
    :) Even deserts are appreciated as ecosystems.

We would call an area of industrial devastation a wasteland, perhaps.

sampathronjay

Sinhala
    I suspet that it's this meaning from our dictionary:
    WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
    waste /weɪst/ n., adj.
    6. a devastated area, or an area that is unsuitable or considered unsuitable for living, as a desert: [countable]the frozen wastes of the tundra.​
    :thumbsup:

sampathronjay

Sinhala
    The preindustrial world tended to find empty or unfarmed land much more physically and emotionally intimidating than we do now. These places were more dangerous, and women especially much less protected.

We'd be unlikely to call a functioning ecosystem like a moor a "waste" these days but rather an outstanding area of natural beauty, or a nature reserve or something.
    :) Even deserts are appreciated as ecosystems.

We would call an area of industrial devastation a wasteland, perhaps.
    :thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >