...a guy who had fronted us the lease

spirlinchi

Italian - Italy
The phrase is:

I went in with friends ...........we took over this really cool shop.....
It was just amazing for a while until it turned out that this guy who had fronted us the lease was shining everyone on

What does it mean "this guy who had fronted us the lease was shining everyone on?

Had these friends leased the shop all togheter but only one of them had signed the contract or something like that?

Thanks for your help.

• tranquilspaces

Hi Spirlinchi,

These are slang expressions that have a number of different meanings, so we would need a bit more context to be sure about the meaning here. In particular, it would be helpful to know the region where the conversation is taking place, because that's essential information when it comes to slang terminology!

"to front" can mean to lend, to represent, to misrepresent, and many other things - I'm not sure how it's being used here

"to shine someone on" can mean "to take advantage of," (and that's probably the meaning in this case). But this expression also has many meanings, including "to ignore."

If you give us a bit more context, we can be more helpful.

~ Shannon

spirlinchi

Italian - Italy
    Have you seen "The Bourne Identity" with Matt Demon, based on the novel by Robert Ludlum?
    Jason Bourne and Marie (she is from Hanover, Germany) are in the car going from Zurich to Paris. Marie is talking about her life:
    "So I went. I took all the money I had and I went with my friends….we took over this really cool surf shop outside Biarritz, which was right by the water.
    It was amazing. It was just amazing for about three months....until it turned out that this...jerk who had fronted us the lease was actually shining everyone on ...

That's all I know. And what I can't understand.

Thank you for help

michele

TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Have you seen "The Bourne Identity" with Matt Demon, based on the novel by Robert Ludlum? Yep, very exciting!
    Jason Bourne and Marie (she is from Hanover, Germany) are in the car going from Zurich to Paris. Marie is talking about her life:
    "So I went. I took all the money I had and I went with my friends….we took over this really cool surf shop outside Biarritz, which was right by the water.
    It was amazing.
    It was just amazing for about three months....
    until it turned out that this...
    jerk who had fronted us the lease was actually shining everyone on...
    Quel cretino/boia che ci ha dato l'affitto in realtà stava facendo una fregatura....
    ..................................................................ci prendeva in giro.
    ?????????

That's all I know. And what I can't understand.

Thank you for help

michele

< Previous | Next >