a (hackneyed, Flat ...) joke or movie

min300

Iran ,( Persian)Farsi
Hi there,
I am looking for an adjective to describe a movie, Joke or commercial which was supposed to be funny but is not and therefore make people disappointed.
So everybody will say ' that was a ..... joke'. Which adjective would you use to say such a thing.

Thanks

• min300

Iran ,( Persian)Farsi
    "hackneyed" is a superb choice. It's much better than some others: "tired," "cliché," "overused," "ancient." I suppose "stale" might do.
    Thanks for your helpful reply. Is it also possible to use ' hackneyed' or ' stale' to describe a person who does something to appear funny or interesting but isn't successful? ( For example, She is hackneyed.)

JamesM

Hi there,
    I am looking for an adjective to describe a movie, Joke or commercial which was supposed to be funny but is not and therefore make people disappointed.
    So everybody will say ' that was a ..... joke'. Which adjective would you use to say such a thing.

Thanks
    I'm just wondering... are these new jokes that fall flat or old jokes that have lost their punch? The responses so far are assuming that these are old jokes. It's entirely possible for a new joke to fall flat. A new joke can't be hackneyed, tired, or stale. It can be a flop, a bomb, a dud, or a "lead balloon." :) These are all nouns, though, and it looks like you're looking for an adjective.

Westerman

UK English
    a poor joke
    a pathetic joke
    a feeble joke
    an unfunny joke

might cover any joke that wasn't very funny. Stale is appropriate when the joke is old and everyone has heard it before

min300

Iran ,( Persian)Farsi
    Is she not funny because everyone is tired of her jokes or because they're old jokes?
    She is not funny because everyone is tired of her jokes or behavior, but she herself thinks that she's funny or interesting. In my language we use something like hackneyed for both the joke and the person.

min300

Iran ,( Persian)Farsi
    I'm just wondering... are these new jokes that fall flat or old jokes that have lost their punch? The responses so far are assuming that these are old jokes. It's entirely possible for a new joke to fall flat. A new joke can't be hackneyed, tired, or stale. It can be a flop, a bomb, a dud, or a "lead balloon." :) These are all nouns, though, and it looks like you're looking for an adjective.
    Thank you for suggesting these nouns. I think I can use them as well:). For example I can say 'What a flop' or 'It was a lead balloon'. Did I use them well?
    Actually I first started looking for this after a class discussion about TV commercials. The students wanted to express their feelings about some of the commercials that were tasteless and not funny although the producers may have though it was funny. So now I think I can use a sentence like ' that commercial was a bomb or flop' as well.

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    I was wondering if hackneyed can modify a book, a movie or a show.
    I guess I could only say the hackneyed plot of a movie, but not a hackneyed movie, is it true?

< Previous | Next >