a half hundred and half a hundred?

Wrpword

Thai
What are the differences of the meanings between "a half hundred" and "half a hundred" as well as "a half-hundred" or "a half of one hundred"?

Could anyone write them in numbers, please?

Thank you in advance.

• Loob

English UK
    These all sound fairly strange, Wrpword. Do you have a context for any of them?

Wrpword

Thai
    Thank you for your kind attention in my post. Some of them I picked up from Google. and some like

1. a city of half a hundred islands / a half-hundred-island city / a city of half-hundred islands
    2. Half a hundred hero tales of Ulysses
    3. Effingham was a half hundred in what is now Surrey, England. It includes the village of Effingham. In the Domesday Book of 1086, Effingham half hundred …
    4. Here are the most career points by players that never reached a half-hundred points in a game
    5. Today, I'd like to look at the crisis from a different perspective, ... of securing by the actions of nearly half a hundred different state

miguel_eugenio

Mexican Spanish
    Hi all,
    I just stumbled with the same question. Can anybody help with some comment please?
    Thanks in advance and best regards!!!

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Could you please give us the sentence you're asking about, miguel? There's a big difference between "a city of half a hundred islands" and "Effinghan was a half hundred in what is now Surrey."

miguel_eugenio

Mexican Spanish
    Sorry, of course.
    I am writing my CV. One of my accomplishments at one job was to create a new system that contained all the core-business-rules of more or less fifty small applications, thus making the processes more comprehensive and smooth in only one system. So, I am looking the proper way to enunciate this.
    Thanks for your kind and fast reply and look forward to hearing from you.
    Best regards!!!

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    There would be no reason in a CV to use a poetic phrase such as "half a hundred." "Approximately fifty" would be more natural.

miguel_eugenio

Mexican Spanish
    Hi Florentia52,
    It is hard or maybe impossible for me to see the poetical connotation of that phrase. In spanish is quite natural to say "medio centenar" and I was thinking in spanish. Thanks for clarifying it. I am blushing already thinking about somebody reading it....
    I love this Forum!
    Thanks again and best regards!!!!

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    But if you're still wondering about Effingham was a half hundred in what is now Surrey, England, this is entirely different. Here a hundred is an ancient division of land, found in the Chiltern Hills.

miguel_eugenio

Mexican Spanish
    Hi Keith,
    Very kind of you to clarify the subject. It was quite fuzzy for me, because of the use of the language. I am not at that level yet, but trying. Far beyond grammar rules are cultural differences that make it hard to learn it. Probably "parcel" would be a synonym?
    Thank you so much!!!!

Wrpword

Thai
    Hi Keith,
    Very kind of you to clarify the subject. It was quite fuzzy for me, because of the use of the language. I am not at that level yet, but trying. Far beyond grammar rules are cultural differences that make it hard to learn it. Probably "parcel" would be a synonym?
    Thank you so much!!!!

Thank you for forwarding the response to me, but I am still not clear about it. Could anyone write them down in numberals for me please?

a half hundred and half a hundred? = ?

Thank you again.

pob14

American English
    Thank you for forwarding the response to me, but I am still not clear about it. Could anyone write them down in numberals for me please?

a half hundred and half a hundred? = ?

Thank you again.

In all of the contexts except what Keith pointed out, they mean ½ of 100, or 50. Is that what you are asking?

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Half a hundred is not an expression commonly used in English. Instead, we say "fifty".

A half hundred is not common either. It is a technical term in political history, referring to one of a few administrative areas. It might perhaps be translated into other languages as if it were "half of the district".

Wrpword

Thai
    Half a hundred is not an expression commonly used in English. Instead, we say "fifty".

A half hundred is not common either. It is a technical term in political history, referring to one of a few administrative areas. It might perhaps be translated into other languages as if it were "half of the district".

It is very kind of you, Keith Bradford, for your additional input of this post. Thank you again.

wandle

English - British
    An example of this phrase in poetry, from Tennyson's 'The Brook':
    By thirty hills I hurry down,
    Or slip between the ridges,
    By twenty thorps, a little town,
    And half a hundred bridges.
    It is not usual, though not impossible, in ordinary language.