A harsh synonym for making a mistake

< Previous | Next >

Flogger20

Persian, Iran
Hello.

Recently, Trump has used a fake name for Persian Gulf and this has made Iranian authorities so angry. One of the most huge figures of Iranian government railed harshly against Trump and condemned his speech. In Persian we have a word which literally means "You ate poo for saying such thing". I think you usually say "You made a mistake for saying such thing" but to my mind it's not so harsh and bitter. I'm looking for a better synonym. How should I rephrase the following bold part?

Mr. Trump you ate poo for substituting the name Arabian Gulf for Persian Gulf.
Thank you in advance.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I think you usually say "You made a big mistake for [by] saying such thing that."
    :thumbsup: (The tone of voice will be adjusted to demonstrate the mood in which it is said - it can range from "mild" to "aggressive" and everything in between.)

<-----Off-topic comment removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->

Last edited by a moderator:

sdgraham

USA English
    First of all, you don't mean "synonym." A synonym is a word that is equivalent to another word. You're asking for an expression.
    WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017

syn•o•nym /ˈsɪnənɪm/ n. [countable]
    1. a word having the same or nearly the same meaning as another in the language, as joyful in relation to elated and glad.
    We have many expressions, particularly slang and vulgar for what you want, but we cannot provide a list here.

Do take a look at: "Boy, did we screw this one up" , however

Flogger20

Persian, Iran
    First of all, you don't mean "synonym." A synonym is a word that is equivalent to another word. You're asking for an expression.
    WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017

syn•o•nym /ˈsɪnənɪm/ n. [countable]
    1. a word having the same or nearly the same meaning as another in the language, as joyful in relation to elated and glad.
    We have many expressions, particularly slang and vulgar for what you want, but we cannot provide a list here.

Do take a look at: "Boy, did we screw this one up" , however
    It was useful. Thank you indeed.

ewie

English English
    If there's one thing Trump is famous for it's talking shit:

Mr Trump, you're talking shit when you call the Persian Gulf the Arabian Gulf.

cubaMania

Mr. Trump you blundered by substituting the name Arabian Gulf for Persian Gulf.
    Mr. Trump you blundered when you called the Persian Gulf the Arabian Gulf.
    A "blunder" is a mistake, but a very stupid and embarrassing one.
    "To blunder" is to make a mistake, but a very stupid and embarrassing one.

Hercules Grytpype-Thynne

English - U.S.
    If there's one thing Trump is famous for it's talking shit:

Mr Trump, you're talking shit when you call the Persian Gulf the Arabian Gulf.
    "Talking shit" doesn't have anything to do with making a mistake, at least not in AmE. It means to speak insultingly or to lie. I would go with "blunder" or, if you really want to get impolite, "fuck up".

Another possibility is "you put your foot in it", which means that one has stepped in shit. (For some reason this is rarely if ever expressed as "you stepped in shit".)

Loob

English UK
    It's interesting how overtones can be so different between AmE and BrE: "you blundered" sounds odd and vaguely comical to me.

Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    "Talking shit" doesn't have anything to do with making a mistake, at least not in AmE.
    Very interesting Hercules. If someone's "talking shit" in BrE it means they're talking rubbish. In other words what they are saying is quite wrong, and therefore they are mistaken. The emphasis in BrE is on the fact that what they are saying is wrong, whether or not the person is lying.

Is "blunder" really a put-down in AmE? It's extremely mild in BrE. We'd use "blunder" in order not to hurt someone's feelings. It's that gentle.

Hercules Grytpype-Thynne

English - U.S.
    I'd say that all the times I've heard talking shit used by an American, it was about something the speaker was doing intentionally (either talking negatively about someone, or lying).
    "Blunder" is not actually all that common in AmE, but when it's used it sounds stronger than "mistake" to me. It implies either (1) a more serious error, or (2) extreme ineptitude on the part of the person making the error, or (3) both.

sound shift

English - England
    Trump didn't somehow use the wrong words when he said what he said; he did it deliberately. So to say "You made a big mistake ..." doesn't fit the circumstances - unless the idea is "You will pay for this and come to realise that it was a mistake to choose to use those words."

Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    I'd say that all the times I've heard talking shit used by an American, it was about something the speaker was doing intentionally (either talking negatively about someone, or lying).
    I notice the Wiktionary definition gives the meaning as "to talk nonsense" or "to lie", as well as the general sense of speaking ill of someone/something:
    talk shit (third-person singular simple present talks shit, present participle talking shit, simple past and past participle talked shit)
    1. (slang, vulgar) To speak ill of something or somebody.
    2. (slang, vulgar) To talk nonsense or to lie.
    talk shit - Wiktionary

For instance, we might say of any politician:
    I can't stand him/her because all they do is talk shit!

It is interesting to know that in AmE it sounds as if the politician tells lies, whereas in BrE it would just sound like the politician talks nonsense. :)

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Mr Trump, whose alleged mistake seems to be that he called "The Persian Gulf", "The Arabian Gulf" indicates that he knows which side his bread is buttered: Persian Gulf - Wikipedia:
    Rivalry between Iran and some Arab states, along with the emergence of pan-Arabism and Arab nationalism, has seen the name Arabian Gulf become predominant in most Arab countries

MarcB

US English
    @Paul Q This occurred to me also. So I would not use mistake as a reference here. From the Iranian point of view, using a vulgar term one might say Trump is full of s***.

ewie

English English
    :confused:
    Using a vulgar term one might say Trump is full of shit.
    Using the bowdlerized version of a vulgar term one might say Trump is full of s***.
    :)

< Previous | Next >