A haze of pain

Tyrion Lann

INDIA -Hindi
What is it a haze of pain?
If it's a state of mind in which one feels pain; I wonder whether the pain is literally or figuratively .
Please explain it.
Thanks.

• Tyrion Lann

INDIA -Hindi
    To the best of my knowledge, I read it in some Stephen's work maybe "Misery", but just lately I have read it on Oxford online dictionary while searching for the word "haze".
    IMG_20190821_212059.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

kentix

English - U.S.
    It means very great pain that is affecting your ability to think clearly or perceive things around you normally.

Tyrion Lann

INDIA -Hindi
    If someone's mind has completely immerged into the worst memories of his life, and has lost track of the time.
    Those memories brought a sheer haze of pain to him. In such case the pain isn't literally because it's not that he feels any pain at any particular part of his body.

Can in such case, the noun phrase " a haze of pain" be used?

Barque

Tamil
    Those memories brought a sheer haze of pain to him.
    Is this your own sentence?

"Brought a haze of pain" doesn't sound very natural to me. (And "sheer" doesn't go with "haze", though I think I understand what you're trying to say.)

You could possibly say the memories left him in a haze of pain, but the phrase is usually used to refer to physical pain.

heypresto

English - England
    :thumbsup: I agree. I would reserve it for physical pain. But even then, I'd try to find another word or expression.

(You can reduce the size of pictures when you insert the into a post. Just left-click on the picture and grab it at one corner and drag it inwards until the picture is a more manageable/viewable size.)

Myridon

English - US
    ... and the phrase also generally used in sentences involving vision. Driving the getaway car, he tried to see the road through a haze of pain caused by the bullet wound in his arm.
    Trying to just make up random sentences based on an example of a phrase from a dictionary definition is often not very helpful

Tyrion Lann

INDIA -Hindi
    The "getaway" car. :D :thumbsup:
    In order to get it better, I just wanted to talk about it. And now I 'm as pleased as Punch.
    Thank you, everyone.

< Previous | Next >