a healthy environment the same way as they used to

erroranalysis

German
A student wrote:

I have to admit that teenagers aren't aware of the importance of a healthy environment the same way as they used to five years ago. Our generation doesn't even dare to leave cans on the floor; the new one doesn't really care any more.

What he writes is about life at school. Even though healthy collocates with environment, I am not sure if healthy is a good choice. And the structure of the whole phrase sounds odd. How would you say it?

My try: ....aren't aware of the importance of a clean and friendly environment as they still used to be five years ago.

• DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I definitely think you need "be" in that part of the sentence, and I think it's probably better style to say "the same way that" rather than "as":
    "I have to admit that teenagers aren't aware of the importance of a healthy environment the same way that they used to be five years ago".

Other than that, I'd leave it as it is: I don't have any particular objection to "a healthy environment", and I don't see any real reason to say "still". :)

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I would keep "healthy" since it is not obvious what the writer means by "healthy environment". It is not clear it means "clean and friendly". The next sentence mentions cans on the floor, so "healthy" includes "uncluttered". But maybe not "clean" and probably not "friendly".

I would add "be" where you add it. The sentence grammar is incorrect until "be" is added.

But I think "still" is incorrect, or at least changes the meaning. "Still five years ago" means "was ten years ago, and remained that way until five years ago".

(cross posted)

< Previous | Next >