"a heart-starting espresso"

< Previous | Next >

riglos

Argentina - Spanish
Hi all!

What does "heart-starting coffee" mean in this context?

"In Argentina, by contrast, breakfast is with a frothy capuccino, a heart-starting espresso, or a caffè latte. In Brazil, after-dinner coffee is served free at any self-respecting restaurant."

I've looked up the expression in many dictionaries, but it doesn't seem to be listed, though "heart-stopping" is. So I thought that maybe they're just playing on the opposite meaning of "heart-stopping". I don't know, it's just an idea. In any case, is this word heard or used frequently?

Thanks a million!

Mara.-

• gaer

US-English
    Hi all!

What does "heart-starting coffee" mean in this context?

"In Argentina, by contrast, breakfast is with a frothy capuccino, a heart-starting espresso, or a caffè latte. In Brazil, after-dinner coffee is served free at any self-respecting restaurant."

I've looked up the expression in many dictionaries, but it doesn't seem to be listed, though "heart-stopping" is. So I thought that maybe they're just playing on the opposite meaning of "heart-stopping". I don't know, it's just an idea. In any case, is this word heard or used frequently?

Thanks a million!

Mara.-
    It's figurative, I think. Heart-starting would mean something getting you going, referring to caffeine, I think. ;)

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    I agree with gaer about what the expression means.

Until fairly recently, I also believed that espresso and other dark-roasted coffee was more "potent" than your everyday cup of American perc or drip coffee. I've felt many a jolt from a bitter demitasse of the stuff, no froth or milk or sugar for me, thanks.

But the irony is, the more you roast coffee, the lower the caffeine content. That instant extra pickup I've been feeling all these years has been psychosomatic.

. 1

Banned
    Australian Australia
    My wife has a heart starter every morning when she has her coffee.
    A heart starter is a common expression meaning something to get you going and it is usually a drink containing caffine.

riglos

Argentina - Spanish
    Then... is this expression "heart-starting" o "a heart starter" common or not? Teddy told me it was not a common collocation and .,, said it was. Then.... this is maybe an Australian thing? I'd like to know.

Thank you all for your replies!!

Mara.-

gaer

US-English
    I agree with gaer about what the expression means.

Until fairly recently, I also believed that espresso and other dark-roasted coffee was more "potent" than your everyday cup of American perc or drip coffee. I've felt many a jolt from a bitter demitasse of the stuff, no froth or milk or sugar for me, thanks.

But the irony is, the more you roast coffee, the lower the caffeine content. That instant extra pickup I've been feeling all these years has been psychosomatic.
    I just learned something else new here. :)

gaer

US-English
    Oops, I hadn't heard of this before. If you google "'heart-starter' coffee", a substantial proportion of the results end in .au or .nz!
    I hadn't heard it before either, but the meaning seemed really obvious. I assumed it was much the same as "a pick-me-up espresso". ;)

< Previous | Next >