A Hi-Fi is such an electrical appliance...

• baker589

English - England
    Yes, we do use electrical appliance as a singular noun.

I would probably call it an computing shop/electronics store, but in practice I would almost certainly just say the name of the shop e.g. Currys or PC World.

Egoexpress

Hungary, Hungarian
    What if you can get basically everything in there? Tellys, radios, laptops, dishwashers, washing machines?

baker589

English - England
    Yes, an appliance store is probably clearer. As I said earlier though, we would normally just say a brand name:

'I need to buy a new washing machine, is there a Currys in town?'
    'Yeah, we have a Comet just round the corner'

(both Currys and Comet are appliance stores).

Egoexpress

Hungary, Hungarian
    The difficulty lies in the fact that such appliance shops like Currys and Comet don't exist here in my neck of woods and as far as I remember there's no Media Markt in yours, are there? so that's the reason why I was looking for a general term for all these.

Thank you very much for your replies.

Last edited:

Matching Mole

England, English
    The term "electrical store" is sometimes used in the UK. "Electrical" rather than "electronic" denotes household appliances, such as washers, cookers, fridges, irons, etc. (often referred to as "electrical goods"), rather than TVs, hi-fi, computers per se. That is not to say that electrical stores don't carry TVs, etc.: they often do.

Comet's tag line (or one of them) is "We live electricals".

JamesM

An appliance store, to me, would be for large appliances and kitchen appliances -- dishwashers, washing machines, dryers, stoves/ranges, ovens, microwave ovens, toasters, toaster ovens and the like. I wouldn't expect to be able to buy a stereo or a video camera, for example, from an appliance store. They might have them, but I would not expect much of a selection or a competitive price.

An electronics store would focus on computers, televisions, sound systems, cameras and videocameras, but would also carry a limited selection of washers, dryers, and kitchen appliances.

Most people around me refer directly to the chain name -- Best Buy, Circuit City (now defunct), Fry's -- rather than calling it an electronics store.

< Previous | Next >