a high level (sense) of fulfillment

Kacy.H

Chinese
I learnt the phrase 'a sense of fulfillment', but do they always have to go together?
Should I level out the word 'sense' or keep it?

A study shows that females working at companies supporting gender equality enjoy a 60 percent higher level (sense) of career fulfillment than their counterparts working for employers who mainly empowered males.

Many many thanks

• The Newt

English - US
    "Sense" isn't something that's normally understood to be quantifiable, so I would leave "level" alone. The idea is "degree of fulfillment."

bibliolept

AE, Español
    "Sense of fulfillment" is a set phrase, yes, but that doesn't mean it must be used in a situation such as reporting a study on how fulfilling people report their career to be. What should be be followed in this case, to the best of the writer's ability, is the phrasing and intent of the researchers, their experiment, and the results. If you can't take your cue from that study, you might simply say "feel 60 percent more fulfilled in their career" or "find their career 60 percent more fulfilling." This is just an idiomatic formulation, however, that may be completely missing what the study's actual results!
    Is it that 60 percent more women find their career fulfilling? Or did they report their fulfillment on some scale?

Kacy.H

Chinese
    "feel 60 percent more fulfilled in their career (their counterparts working for employers who mainly empowered males) " or "find their career 60 percent more fulfilling than ( their counterparts working for employers who mainly empowered males)."
    Yes, this is what I want to say.
    But to me, they are the same as 'a 60 percent higher level of career fulfillment'
    What's the difference?
    Thanks

Kacy.H

Chinese
    What should be be followed in this case, to the best of the writer's ability, is the phrasing and intent of the researchers, their experiment, and the results. If you can't take your cue from that study, you might simply say
    This explanation is so complicated. I have difficulty in understanding it.

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    Yes, this is what I want to say.
    But to me, they are the same as 'a 60 percent higher level of career fulfillment'
    What's the difference?
    Thanks
    Sense of fulfilment: this is an entirely subjective measure, based on what the person reports about how they feel - they could for example be asked to give a score on a scale of 1-10.
    Without “sense”, the implication is that there is some kind of objective measure, that we can assess the level independently. Of course with this particular example we know that it is difficult, although not impossible, to define such a measure. One method might be to ask the subjects to define their career goals for the next 5 years and then measure externally to what extent those goals are achieved.

Kacy.H

Chinese
    Sense of fulfilment: this is an entirely subjective measure, based on what the person reports about how they feel - they could for example be asked to give a score on a scale of 1-10.
    Without “sense”, the implication is that there is some kind of objective measure, that we can assess the level independently. Of course with this particular example we know that it is difficult, although not impossible, to define such a measure. One method might be to ask the subjects to define their career goals for the next 5 years and then measure externally to what extent those goals are achieved.
    Thanks. I understand your explaination and will not use the word sense.
    So 'a 60 percent higher level of career fulfillment' is OK?
    I don't have to use 'feel 60 percent more fulfilled in their career" or "find their career 60 percent more fulfilling'?
    Thanks

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    It is highly likely that you actually mean “sense of fulfilment”. If not, please explain how you are measuring this level.

Kacy.H

Chinese
    did they report their fulfillment on some scale?
    they could for example be asked to give a score on a scale of 1-10.
    A survey which asked 2,000 American female workers to rate their career fulfillment on a scale of 1-10 showed that those who worked at a company supporting gender inequality found their career 60 percent more fulfilling than their counterparts who mainly empowered males.

Could you tell me if this survey is clear now?

< Previous | Next >