a 'high-stacked' Dodge [automobile]

< Previous | Next >

slavipet

Bulgaria
Hi everyone,

I wonder what exactly "high-stacked" means in the following context:It was a high-stacked Dodge painted burgundy in Anacortes...
Thanks in advance for your help!
slavipet

Last edited:
  • slavipet

Bulgaria
    ...It was a high-stacked Dodge painted burgundy in Anacortes, elaborately pin-striped and with decorative exhaust extensions pillared just behind the gleaming cab - a schoolboy's play truck, in short.

Last edited:

Copyright

American English
    As I thought, it's a truck rather than a car... but high-stacked usually refers to the load it's carrying in the truck bed behind the cab -- although it might be the level of the truck bed from the ground (higher rather than lower). But these are just guesses -- I'm afraid I'll have to leave it to some pickup truckers to fine-tune this answer.

Hitchhiker

English-US
    High-stacked may refer to the vertical exhaust pipes (or extensions) on trucks that are often called "stacks". The exhaust extensions may be very tall to raise the exhaust above the trailer which is often taller than the cab of the truck.

Last edited:

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Something about this is not right. Does Dodge make truck cabs? Not in recent decades, if ever, as far as I can recall. They make pickup trucks for sure, but these do not have high or low vertical exhaust systems.

We need more context and background.

Hitchhiker

English-US
    Dodge makes a full range of trucks. The quote mentions the exhaust. "...elaborately pin-striped and with decorative exhaust extensions pillared just behind the gleaming cab"

< Previous | Next >