A <history, historic, historical> book.

sound shift

English - England
I'm sorry I can't help you about the broad issue of 'noun + noun' vs 'adjective + noun', but I can tell you that 'history book' and 'historical book' are not the same.

A history book = A book about history
A historical book = A book that made history, a book that achieved lasting fame. It need not be about history. D.H. Lawrence's book 'Lady Chatterley's Lover' is a historical book, but it is a novel, not a history book.

• ewie

English English
    A history book = A book about history
    A historical book = A book that made history, a book that achieved lasting fame. It need not be about history. D.H. Lawrence's book 'Lady Chatterley's Lover' is a historical book, but it is a novel, not a history book.

Wouldn't that be a historic book, Sound?
    To my ears a historical book would just be one that was very old, maybe one that appeared in history somewhere. So The Domesday Book might be described as both 'historical' and 'historic' ...
    ... erm ...
    am I imagining this?

Just found this http://www.answers.com/historic&r=67

Forero

My 2 cents worth:

History book = book about history, probably a textbook.
    Historical book = book documented in history.
    Historic book = momentous book (maybe not famous, but important to the historian - or expected to be so).

Ynez

Spanish
    Maybe a "Historical book" could be a novel based in some particular past time?

Or even it could be used to mean "a book that has been famous for a long time"?

I guess a "History book" can only be a book to study History, isn't it so?

Forero

Maybe a "Historical book" could be a novel based in some particular past time?

Or even it could even be used to mean "a book that has been famous for a long time"?

I guess a "History book" can only be a book to study History, isn't it so right?

I agree with all three of your observations, Ynez. :)

history buff

USA English
    Wouldn't that be a historic book, Sound?
    To my ears a historical book would just be one that was very old, maybe one that appeared in history somewhere. So The Domesday Book might be described as both 'historical' and 'historic' ...
    ... erm ...
    am I imagining this?

I think you're right.

Ynez

Spanish
    Thanks for your corrections, Forero.

It seems my reply in another thread ended here...where I am just repeating what others had just said :D