A hole in the ground

< Previous | Next >

Allegro molto

Japanese
Hello

On the other hand, my teacher’s reactionary grading shows that our society is culturally illiterate and that many people can’t tell good art from a hole in the ground.
(from Calvin and Hobbes, the IHT)

My question;
What does “a hole in the ground” mean?
I looked up in several dictionaries, but couldn’t find example sentences in which the phrase is used figuratively.
Does it mean something not worth paying attention to?

Thank you

• grubble

British English
    "He can't tell a X from a hole in the ground" is a common phrase that indicates that someone is the opposite of being an expert.

A hole in the ground is a very commonplace thing. It would be possible to change the phrase by saying, e.g. "He can't tell a good piece of furniture from a cardboard box."
    However most people simply use the traditional version.

The phrase means "He is so stupid that he cannot distinguish between X and Y."

mangoman

British English
    I think the original "X" was "his arse".

"He can't tell his arse ["his asshole" in AE] from a hole in the ground." Both things are holes, he's too stupid to distinguish between them.

"He can't tell his arse from a hole in the ground" is very, very rude. But "people can’t tell good art from a hole in the ground" is fine. Hardly rude at all.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US

"He can't tell his arse ["his asshole" in AE] from a hole in the ground." Both things are holes, he's too stupid to distinguish between them.

Here, a common similar phrase is "he can't tell his ass from his elbow."

And in "can't tell X from a hole in the ground"--also common--X can be just about anything.

Both, of course, describe extreme stupidity.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    In this case it seems to be less concerned with stupidity than with aesthetic insensitivity, which is another matter. I know many intelligent people with little aesthetic sense.

twinklestar

Chinese

"He can't tell his arse from a hole in the ground" is very, very rude. But "people can’t tell good art from a hole in the ground" is fine. Hardly rude at all.
    I didn't really understand until I read your explanation above. Thank you!

< Previous | Next >