1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

a hole that blew right out of the water

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by simonette, Jun 14, 2009.

1. simonette Member

"Spanish- Venezuela"
    Hola a todos,

Quisiera que me ayudaran con la traducción de la siguiente frase "
    a hole that blew right out of the water the long held belief that the sea floor was flat and featureless "

En el siguiente contexto:

But the Western Pacific Ocean is different. It drops off again into the five mile deep hole – a hole that blew right out of the water the long held belief that the sea floor was flat and featureless”

Gracias de antemano.

2. andyj1019 Senior Member

English-United States
    Bueno, es un modismo que quiere decir que el descubrimiento del agujero destruyó la creencia antigua que el fondo del mar era plana y vacia.

3. simonette Member

"Spanish- Venezuela"
    Gracias andyj1019 por tu ayuda.

4. gengo

gengo Senior Member

San Francisco
    American English
    I agree with Andy, but the English is, I think, I bit stronger than his Spanish. The expression comes from the literal meaning of to blow a ship out of the water with cannon fire, and therefore is used to mean to destroy utterly. We often use this expression to mean to completely destroy an idea that had been held tightly or for a long time previously. The writer may also be playing with words here, since the "water" is both literal and figurative here.

5. simonette Member

"Spanish- Venezuela"
    Thank you Gengo. It is very clear your explanation.

6. eli-chi Senior Member

Santiago-Chile
    Spanish-Chile
    Sé que esto es muy, pero muy antiguo. Pero, así como me ayudó a mí, puede servirle a alguien más.
    Tomando la explicación dada por gengo, creo que puede traducirse como "echar por tierra (algo)"

7. SydLexia Senior Member

London, EU
    UK English
    Si estamos en el agua "hundió para siempre" sería más apropriado, creo.

syd