a holiday/a day off on July 4th?

birzo

Swedish
If you want to ask your boss if it's possible not to go to work on a specific day, then how to ask this : "Can I have a holiday/ a day off/ a free day on July 4?"

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    If you are working in the US, you ask:

"Can I have a day off on July 4?"

Actually, because the 4th of July is a national holiday in the US, you would probably ask, "Can I have the 4th of July off?"

A side note: Many Americans would ask "May I have the 4th of July off?" because we have been taught to use may when asking permission. However, not everyone does that. If you have questions or comments, please see the existing threads on may can.

Here is a good one to start with: Can vs. May

Last edited:

birzo

Swedish
    If you are working in the US, you ask:

"Can I have a day off on July 4?"

Actually, because the 4th of July is a national holiday in the US, you would probably ask, "Can I have the 4th of July off?"

A side note: Many Americans would ask "May I have the 4th of July off?" because we have been taught to use may when asking permission. However, not everyone does that. I'll look for a thread on this topic and post it when I find it.

Thanks. What would one say in Great Britain ?

Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    You could also ask for
    ... a day off on 4th July (BE) (= one day)
    or the day off on 4th July (= that particular day)

And being ever so polite, we might say could I, or also can I, or may I ...
    If you really need to grovel, do you think I could possibly have .... (licking his boots will help, too)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >