a hookup (casual sex)

< Previous | Next >

Schrodinger's_Cat

American English
Hook up was translated as "far accoppiare" in this thread

Or as "agganciare" in this thread

But also, in colloquial American English, a hookup is casual sex activity that could consist of manual stimulation, oral sex, or sexual intercourse.

A hookup is sex without any emotional aspect, or sometimes called "No strings attached" sex.

and there's also extended hookup, which refers to prolonged instances of casual sex interactions.

Other colloquial terms are fuck buddies, friends with benefits

So how do you translate hookup?

• laurentius87

Italian
    «Sveltina» is a colloquial term which designates a quick sex intercourse, usually without any emotional aspect. I'm not sure is the best translation for hookup.

elena73

Italian
    I know that sveltina is translated as 'a quickie' :warn: in English, if I'm not wrong.
    But a quickie/sveltina could have an emotional aspect in any case, this is not excluded. Also a married couple can do it (and I wouldn't call that 'no string attached'... ).

Anyway I also suggest 'una scopata :warn: e via'

I add a random example from Google:

Lei mi disse: «Senti, ma è stata solo una scopata e via? :warn: È che a me, ti giuro, non era mai capitato».

EDIT: For extended hookup I'd tranlate it as: una storia di sesso

P.S. Scusa Benvitale ma il Booty in 'Booty call' sta per 1. pirate treasure, plunder oppure 2. Ass :warn: /posterior. I thought it was 2

Last edited:

rrose17

Canada, English
    I just wanted to add that to hook-up is not always no strings attached. You could say I have been trying to get together with this girl that I really like and we finally hooked up last night. There's no indication that this is casual.
    @ Elena booty can be slang for ass as in "shake your booty" but "booty call" is a kind of stupid expression (to me, anyway!) meaning casual sex.

elena73

Italian
    I just wanted to add that to hook-up is not always no strings attached. You could say I have been trying to get together with this girl that I really like and we finally hooked up last night. There's no indication that this is casual.
    I had a look at the Urban Dictionary and found out that 'to hook up' is a very ambiguous verb. Meaning can range FROM:

-to hook up is to do anything from make-out to have sex, with someone you are not in a relationship with..

TO:

1. purposely ambiguous, equivocal word to describe almost any sexual action. usually used to exaggerate or minimize what exactly happened. a hook-up can range from a make-out session to full out sex.

TO:

1) to get together with someone with the intention of dating or having sexual relations with them.

So of course when you tranlate it you have to choose what you specifically mean.

@ Elena booty can be slang for ass as in "shake your booty" but "booty call" is a kind of stupid expression (to me, anyway!) meaning casual sex
    Rose, so you think (from an 'etymological' point of view :) ) that the 'booty' in 'Booty call' refers to the concept of 'ass'? Or it cannot be defined?

elena73

Italian
    Good morning BenVitale :)
    I already knew the word (but thanks all the same for enriching my general culture). I was just wondering if the booty in booty call was meant as 'ass' or as 'plunder' (as suggested at the beginning by another member). I think it's referred to the concept of ass.

By the way I think we don't have a specific word that translates 'booty call' (as in: a telephone call made to arrange a sexual rendezvous).
    I guess it should be 'telefonata per organizzare etc.. etc..' you see it's too long, it's just a ''perifrasi''.

elena73

Italian
    BenVitale, I got that (and already knew the term).
    What I wanted to ask you is:
    The word booty (inside/in the expression booty call) refers to A. its meaning of buttocks OR B. its meaning of prize/plunder?
    How do you perceive it (i.e. A or B??). I mean: when you think 'booty call' what comes to your mind, the plunder or the buttocks??
    I hope my question is more clear now :)

EDIT: I am of course laughing by myself in front of the screen now...

rrose17

Canada, English
    Your question is very clear. Strange but clear...:D
    I guess I would think of "shake your booty" from the old disco song, never pirates.:)

Schrodinger's_Cat

American English
    Booty in this expression is another word for ass.

Sometimes you'll hear in some movies or songs, "Shake dat booty, woman!" ... "She's got a nice booty"

It can be demeaning... but it can be used in very close relationships... you hear it quite often on college campuses.

< Previous | Next >