a hot couple

• luckylucky

japanese
    I wanted to say "You are a lovey-dovey couple!", but I said "a hot couple".
    Is it OK? Isn't it sexual?
    I didn't want to be rude.
    They are married, and my friends.

Copyright

American English
    I wouldn't use "a hot couple" in that context. I might say, "You are really a pair of lovebirds." Or, "It's great to see two people so much in love." Or even, "You are really a lovey-dovey couple." :)

Copyright

American English
    You might hear it used for a celebrity couple, where both people are sexually attractive. Of course it can also be used for non-celebrities, so my comment is about seeing the phrase in reporting on the entertainment industry.

luckylucky

japanese
    You might hear it used for a celebrity couple, where both people are sexually attractive. Of course it can also be used for non-celebrities, so my comment is about seeing the phrase in reporting on the entertainment industry.

"celebrity couple", "both people are sexually attractive" and "reporting on the entertainment industry."
    I can understand that nuance well!
    Thank you very much!

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    If I say "You are a hot couple", does it have a sexual meaning?
    In most cases it would be understood that way. The better question is why would you ever say such a thing? Even if meant innocently, it is not an appropriate thing to say, and is likely to be regarded as offensive.

Were you trying to be rude and inappropriate?

luckylucky

japanese
    In most cases it would be understood that way. The better question is why would you ever say such a thing? Even if meant innocently, it is not an appropriate thing to say, and is likely to be regarded as offensive.

Were you trying to be rude and inappropriate?
    That day, it was cold with the rain, so I put on a jacket.
    But, my friends couple are both wearing a T-shirt. and I said "You are a hot couple."(I know this word is not suitable.)
    and he said "oh, do you know that meaning? ha-ha. it has two meanings"
    This talk ended.

After that day, I still have a question about that word's nuance.
    I want to know that strictly nuance.

Thank you for your reply.

< Previous | Next >