A hot dog is <messier> than a deep dish pizza.

emre aydın

Turkish
A guy says after biting a hot dog: A hot dog is messier than a deep dish pizza. He seems to like it, as he says it.

(Nashville)

What does "messy" mean here?

Thanks for your help.

• sound shift

English - England
    "Messy" here means "liable to make a mess" (on the hands, face or clothes of the person eating the hot dog, and possibly on the ground too, because the ketchup/mustard/etc can squirt out when you bite into the hot dog).

Last edited:

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    It is the comparative of "messy". He is saying you will get dirtier when eating a hot dog (perhaps mustard or ketchup spills on your shirt) than if you eat deep-dish pizza.

mess•y /ˈmɛsi/ adj., -i•er, -i•est.
    • dirty, untidy, or disorderly:very messy in his personal habits.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Note that deep dish pizza can also be messy to eat. The speaker is saying that while eating a slice of deep dish pizza can be messy, eating a hot dog is even messier.

Am I correct in my assumption that your question indicates that you have never eaten either one?;)

emre aydın

Turkish
    Note that deep dish pizza can also be messy to eat. The speaker is saying that while eating a slice of deep dish pizza can be messy, eating a hot dog is even messier.

Am I correct in my assumption that your question indicates that you have never eaten either one?;)
    Actually I have eaten both though not very often. :) I missed its meaning of "making dirty", and figured it might mean something like "delicious".

Thank you all.

Scott AM

English - Canada
    Actually I have eaten both though not very often. :) I missed its meaning of "making dirty", and figured it might mean something like "delicious".

Thank you all.
    For what it's worth, I think a doner kebab is both messier, and more delicious, than a hot dog! :)

< Previous | Next >