a .html extension

< Previous | Next >

maque

Farsi
The sentence in question:

"If you are used to working with HTML files, for example, check that you have not saved your script with a .html extension".

If it is a specific extension (.html) why is "a" used in here? It seems that "the" should be used in this case. Am I off base again? :)

• meat pies!!

English
    I'm not a grammar expert but to me "an" seems more appropriate. If you found this on the internet somewhere it possibly a gramatical error but not one thats very noticible. like how most english speakes say "i am good" where in fact it should be "i am well"

i wouldn't worry too much about it

Gwan

New Zealand, English
    I suppose you could use 'the' if you were thinking of html extensions as a type of extension as opposed to .doc, .pdf, .docx etc. etc.

Here, though, the speaker means 'make sure you haven't used an .html extension on your specific document' - that is, there exist millions of .html extensions on documents, yours is just one of these extensions.

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    I read this as "a dot html extension", making "a" appropriate. Perhaps that's just me.

Other than that, I think Gwan has hit the nail on the head about why "a/an" works rather than "the".

< Previous | Next >