A huge air blower was placed over the open door of a train.

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by hedgy, Nov 29, 2012.

1. hedgy Senior Member

Catalan
    I do not know very well how to translate a text about the vacuum cleaner invention. The sentence I do not know how to translate isunderlined. This is it:
    "One day Hubert Cecil Booths went to see an inventor demonstrate his new dust-removing machine at a London railway station. A huge air blower was placed over the open door of a train. The idea was to blow dirt into a bag which was put over another door. A lot of dust was pushed up into the air but then came down again inside the train instead of inside the bag. Booth didn't think it was a very good idea".

A huge air blower was placed over the open door of a train
    I think it is:
    Un enorme extractor fue situado encima de la puerta abierta de un tren
    But was the door on the ceiling or on the side of the train?
    I do not really understand it. And I don't know why the bag was put over another door of the train.

-----------------------
    Nota de moderación
    : los títulos de los hilos deben incluir la frase que se va a traducir (regla 3). Por favor, toma esto en cuenta en el futuro.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2012
  2. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    I think the word "over" is being used in a confusing manner. The idea probably isn't "above the door" but "completely covering the door." So the idea was to put a fan across one door and blow air through the car into the bag, which covered the other door and kept the dust from escaping (at least in theory).

3. jannr Senior Member

English-United States
    In this passage "to place something over the door" is to cover the door completely, in this case by a large fan. It does sound awkward.

I have a question for you. To an English speaker, your use of extractor would suggest a fan that sucked air OUT of a space rather than pushing air INTO the space as in the unsuccessful invention. Would that be true in Spanish? How about "un poderoso ventilador fue situado en una puerta del coche...."

4. hedgy Senior Member

Catalan
    Thank you so much.

Just one thing, I do not understand when you say
    Nota de moderación: los títulos de los hilos deben incluir la frase que se va a traducir (regla 3). Por favor, toma esto en cuenta en el futuro.
    I wanted to write it down but it only lets me write a few words. Sorry, anyway
    Thank you

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2012
  5. hedgy Senior Member

Catalan
    I think you are right but I wouldn't use poderoso, I would say potente

6. frida-nc

frida-nc Senior Member

North Carolina
    English USA
    Hola Judith:
    Para contestar tu pregunta:
    Hemos cambiado el titulo desde "A text about the vacuum cleaner invention--translation." Verás que en su lugar mi colega puso la frase central de tu consulta. Para más explicacion puedes repasar nuestra regla 3, que incluye esto:

Los títulos de los hilos deben contener la palabra o frase consultadas (evite títulos tales como "favor de traducir", "cómo digo esto", "soy nuevo" y similares).

7. jannr Senior Member

English-United States

8. jannr Senior Member

English-United States
    Gracias, Julia.