a huge new high-rise apartment

< Previous | Next >

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
Hi, a Happy New Year.

This noun phrase, a huge new high-rise apartment: wouldn't an 'apartment building' or 'apartment house' be better? Or, an 'apartment high-rise'? An apartment is just one unit for an occupant, you know....

Commuters on the Parkway expressway in Pittsburgh have become accustomed to a familiar sight on the outskirts of downtown. It appears to be a huge new high-rise apartment going up, but it's not. It is the new Allegheny County Jail, and it will have room for 2,397 prisoners once it opens. The people who will run it expect it to be filled to capacity right from the start. (Chicago Tribune)

Last edited:
  • sdgraham

USA English
    Or, being Bob Greene, the author may have tried to put on some effect with it?
    You are free to speculate, but I would just put it down to poor (or non-existent) editing, especially since I cannot conceive of what such an "effect" might be.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Yes, of course the word "building" or "house" is missing. And Mr Graham (post #4) is likely right, given the near-total absence of editing at newspapers in recent times.

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
    Gee, now I don't know which to follow. Dictionaries have the definition, but oftentimes definitions are just definitions. Maybe I'd be better off with living dictionaries. ... I don't know ....

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Where I live (and clearly also where Mr Graham lives, which is on the opposite coast of the US), an apartment is a residential unit within an apartment house or apartment building.

sdgraham

USA English
    Where I live (and clearly also where Mr Graham lives, which is on the opposite coast of the US), an apartment is a residential unit within an apartment house or apartment building.
    Not to mention the entry here for apartment

Language changes over time and part of that change is that speech becomes lazy, e.g. dropping the noun being modified and using the modifier as the noun itself, and eventually the lazy version starts popping up in dictionaries.

Professional editors tend to be a picky lot and stick with the traditional usage.

< Previous | Next >