a hybrid between both opinions

< Previous | Next >

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
In an online American talk show, the host pointed out two opposing views on an issue. One of the guests chose to take the middle ground and said "I'm a hybrid between both opinions"

Do native speakers approve of this expression as a way of saying you have an opinion that is midway between two opposing opinions?

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    The phrase "a hybrid between two opinions" doesn't make sense. However, speech doesn't carry punctuation marks. I think this speaker probably said "I'm a hybrid, ["I'm" omitted here in informal speech] between two opinions."

Myridon

English - US
    I think "My opinion is a hybrid of both opinions." would be fine. People on talk shows often don't say what they would say if they had time to think about it. His sentence says he is an opinion instead of a person. :)

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Thanks Egmont Myridon. Yes, it is illogical but perhaps not a glaring mistake that would raise any eyebrows in informal speech.
    I had a quick look on Google and found that "I'm a hybrid between XXX" is usually used to express a blend of two characteristics, skills, capabilities. E.g)
    I'm a hybrid between an art and computer nerd

Loob

English UK
    Hi redgiant

The thing that particularly strikes me about the original sentence is the word "both". I wouldn't, at all, be worried by "I'm a hybrid between the two opinions"....

As others have said, though, people use constructions in unscripted speech that they would never use in writing:).

Loob

English UK
    Too right, Kate! I once had the ghastly experience of seeing a transcript of evidence I gave to a Parliamentary committee. I didn't even speak in sentences!:eek:

Myridon

English - US
    I had a quick look on Google and found that "I'm a hybrid between XXX" is usually used to express a blend of two characteristics, skills, capabilities. E.g)
    I'm a hybrid between an art and computer nerd
    Art nerds and computer nerds are people. This person says he's a person.

< Previous | Next >