a hypothetical enactment

< Previous | Next >

kansi

japanese
what does "enactment" mean here?
does it mean the act of making a (hypothetical) law (about sydney's nightlife)?

Saving Sydney’s nightlife: Global Cities After Dark forum | Architecture & Design
The 2019 Global Cities After Dark forum will be held in Sydney on Friday 15 November. Here, policy makers, nightlife leaders and city planners will join forces with domestic experts, local and state government to focus on solutions following a challenging five years for Sydney’s nightlife.

Framed by three themes – Content and Culture; Creative Space and City Planning; and Policy/Framework and Education – the 2019 forum features keynotes from six international experts, as well as “deep dive” workshops, breakout sessions and a hypothetical enactment, focused on harm minimisation.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Hypothetical enactment -> I would take this to be a short play by actors (or members of the group) that uses a hypothetical set of circumstances.

There seems to be no "legal" aspect to this, and “deep dive” "workshops", and "breakout sessions" are all "trendy, inclusive, fun learning experiences" - legalities would seen out of place.

kansi

japanese
    Hypothetical enactment -> I would take this to be a short play by actors (or members of the group) that uses a hypothetical set of circumstances.

There seems to be no "legal" aspect to this, and “deep dive” "workshops", and "breakout sessions" are all "trendy, inclusive, fun learning experiences" - legalities would seen out of place.
    ah I see.
    that enactment means the second one here , right?
    ENACTMENT | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary
    and does this sound formal?

maybe the word "play" is a daily, casual word to mean same to enactment?

Last edited:

kansi

japanese
    It sounds like jargon
    oh so it's a technical term.
    Do you know in what specific field enactment is a techical term when it means #2 in the link?
    When it means #1 in the link, it's one of jargon in the law field, right?

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Jargon is not "technical terms" - jargon is a form of sociolect - a language used by people in a specific group in place of commoner, more usual, words that the general population might use.

Enactment in the phrase "The enactment of (for example) legislation" is neither jargon nor a technical term, it is simply the correct and normal noun.

kansi

japanese
    Jargon is not "technical terms" - jargon is a form of sociolect - a language used by people in a specific group in place of commoner, more usual, words that the general population might use.

Enactment in the phrase "The enactment of (for example) legislation" is neither jargon nor a technical term, it is simply the correct and normal noun.
    I see now the meaning of jargon.
    Then a specific people in which group would use enactment in this meaning?

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    People who are likely to be involved in the artistic, emotional, human relationship, liberal aspects of human life. There is no hard commerce or science involved.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I think that, having discussed which proposals seem to offer the best solutions, they want to go on to examine what will happen if the experts' proposals are accepted.

I don't imagine this could involve role-playing, which is what "hypothetical enactment" sometimes involves.

< Previous | Next >