A.I.M. (Advanced Idea*s* Mechanics) and plural nouns

nomnom27

Castellano
Well, I've had this question for sometime now but I keep forgetting to ask it. Well was reading a little bit of one the Mavel Comics' series "The Avengers" and they have group of bad guys named A.I.M (Advanced Idea Mechanics). They mostly deal with advanced robots and other sorts of mechinery.

Anyway, my question is not about acronym but the name they gave themselves "Advanced Idea Mechanics." My concern is if it's okay to have two plural nouns next to each other like "Advanced Ideas Mechanics"?

• EStjarn

Spanish
    Hello nomnom

In Wikipedia's article on A.I.M., the noun adjunct is in the singular: Advanced Idea Mechanics.

Regarding the use of plurals as noun adjuncts, a practice which I believe is not usually recommendable, this is from another Wikipedia entry:
    Noun adjuncts were traditionally mostly singular (e.g. "trouser press") except when there were lexical restrictions (e.g. "arms race"), but there is a recent trend towards more use of plural ones, especially in UK English. Many of these can also be and/or were originally interpreted and spelled as plural possessives (e.g. "chemicals' agency", "writers' conference", "Rangers' hockey game"), but they are now often written without the apostrophe, although this is criticised by some authorities.

Last edited:

nomnom27

Castellano
    ThanksEStjarn, not only did learn what noun adjunct is, I now know that using NAs is not permitter if you want to talk proper english.

But just to be sure if I'm getting this, the noun adjunct in "records room," that found on google, shouldn't be written like this. It should be written "records' room" or "record room" right?

On a personal note, I think "records' room" sounds more accurate.

Oh yeah, thanks Cagey, I'll probably read the thread later because I'm leaving right now.

EStjarn

Spanish
    ...I now know that using NAs is not permitter if you want to talk proper english.
    I'm not sure I follow you, bonbon. It sounds as if you're suggesting that, for example, 'chicken soup' is not proper English.
    ...the noun adjunct in "records room," that found on google, shouldn't be written like this. It should be written "records' room" or "record room" right?
    It depends on what you mean by 'should be written'. According to the quoted text in post 2, "some authorities" criticize the omitted apostrophe, which ought to mean that other authorities accept it. (Personally, I rather like the omission.)

nomnom27

Castellano
    Oops, my bad what I meant to say was "I now know that using NAs with an "s" without an apostrophe is not permitted if you want to talk proper english."

But now I know that explaining what meant is mute since you told that adding an apostrophe after an "s" is optional because of the "authorities" disagreeing between the two options (of course I'm paraphrasing).

Or at least that's what I think you meant, if not tell me.

< Previous | Next >