A is to B, what C is to D

Hallöchen,

Today I've found this idea being rendered as "A ist für B, was C für D ist" (I can't remember the specific example). I would look for it on a dictionary but it's incredibly hard to look for such kind of constructions. Am I right to assume this is the most common way to say "A is to B, what C is to D" in German?

Danke schön

• Hutschi

"A ist für B, was C für D ist"
    The sentence is correct, and the most general compromise. But if context is available, I'd prefer more special descriptions.

If A, B, C und D are constants or variables, I'd prefer:

A verhält sich zu B, wie C zu D.

Do you have any context?

It depends much on context.

Die Dresdner Frauenkirche ist für Dresden, was der Kölner Dom für Köln ist.

I think this is not wrong, but there are more idiomatic versions.

Hier würde ich sagen:

Die Frauenkirche hat für Dresden ähnliche Bedeutung wie der Kölner Dom für Köln.

There is no general idiom, but it depends on context.

edit: Overlapped with Kajjo.

Perseas

Greek
    Cancel-Culture-Aktivisten sind für die Kultur, was Helikopter-Eltern für Kinder und Impfgegner für die Medizin sind.
    Apart from the style, I assume that "verhält sich" does not fit into this example not even semantically, right?

I rate this as a bit layman-style.

I mathematics and other more elevated fields you would say:

A verhält sich zu B, wie C zu D.

j-Adore

English (BrE)
    The correct English phrasing for this is: "A is to X as B is to Y", which is often used in math as well as IQ tests where you are asked to draw an analogy between two sets of related terms such as: "Queen is to twelve as King is to ____?".

< Previous | Next >