a jar of coffee in Los Ocotes

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by islabonita, Jul 22, 2010.

1. islabonita New Member

English
    I am looking at translating- the story of a (glass)jar of coffee and am struggling to find the best version between...un bote de / una lata de (tin?) or una jarra de café. English mainly have glass jars but is it more natural to say tin in Mexico?

2. fenixpollo

fenixpollo moderator

Arizona
    American English
    Hello, islabonita, and welcome to the forum.

Are you talking about liquid coffee that is in a glass jar with a lid, like a jar for jam/jelly/marmelade/preserves? Or are you talking about coffee grounds or beans?

I'm asking because in Mexico, "jarra" is often used to refer to a pitcher or carafe of liquid. Also, if you are talking about liquid, you would say de café, but if you are talking about beans or grounds, it would be better (more clear) to refer to them by name -- granos de café or café molido.

Any additional context information that you could provide would be helpful.

3. islabonita New Member

English
    Hi there! Wow this forum is fantastic, thank you for your quick reply! I was referring to a jar of ground coffee. I'd forgotten about café molido, thanks for that too.

4. fenixpollo

fenixpollo moderator

Arizona
    American English
    Thanks. Then I would call it un frasco de café molido.

5. mirx Banned

Español
    I would only say "un frasco de café". Un frasco de café molido might lead one to believe that the coffee was especially ground for us, like taken to a special mill or something.

Una jarra de café means a flask of (brewed) coffee, so unless you are talking about ready-to-drink coffee, I would stick to the other versions.

6. islabonita New Member

English
    Hi, I'm loving this forum as love talking about Spanish translations! Anyway, should I use 'un bote' or 'una lata', are they interchangeable? I'm learning so much! Muchísimas gracias

7. fenixpollo

fenixpollo moderator

Arizona
    American English
    To my mind, a "bote" is more informal and utilitarian. It might be an open container, like a small bucket or a trash can. Not something you would keep coffee in.

You mentioned "tin", so I assume that you speak British English. "Lata" would be a tin (or a can in American English). So if it's the type of coffee that comes in a metal can/tin, that word might be appropriate.

8. islabonita New Member

English
    Hi, thank you. What do you think of un tarro de café?

9. mirx Banned

Español
    That also means brewed coffee, like a cup of coffe. Coffee that is ready to drink.

Un frasco and, less preferably, un bote de café is what I would say.

10. fenixpollo

fenixpollo moderator

Arizona
    American English
    If you wanted to refer to a mug of brewed coffee, then that would be fine.