a Jenga-block push to the heart

< Previous | Next >

saffron17

Mandarin
Hi, I'd like to post my first question here.
I couldn't seem to find any meaningful explanation for the phrase "a jenga-block push to the heart."

I read it in a book titled Mindful Running, in which many runners share their running experiences and how they apply mindfulness to their running practice.
The metaphor appears when a runner explains how she changes her mindset when feeling pain during a race.
The complete paragraph goes:
"I consciously shifted my mental energy from dreading upcoming discomfort to simply recognizing that pain will always appear in slight variations of itself and I should try to greet it politely. When I am sad, even though it's a quieter pain than in a race, I still feel it physically, like a Jenga-block push to the heart. As when I am running, I try to stay calm and be mentally OK with sadness, anger or any emotion I know is normal every once in a while."

I'm aware that jenga block is a kind of building block game, but couldn't think of anything metaphorical of this phrase that is relevant to the context.
Is there anyone who can help?
A million thanks!!

• Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Jenga blocks are used to build a tower, and the aim of the game is to remove pieces without the tower collapsing. When the tower does finally collapse, the disappointment is like a "push to the heart".

kentix

English - U.S.
    I think the analogy is that when you're playing Jenga you can push against a block that is right in the middle (the heart) of the tower. You push on it hard enough and it pops out the other side, leaving a hollow space. That's how her heart feels when she's sad - like a hollow place (a hole) has been made in it by an outside event pushing on it.

< Previous | Next >