a jet-setter, a teenage-setter, a white-haired-setter

wolfbm1

Polish
Hello.

"As the debut of the newest iPhone creates a giant buzz among the general public, Chicago's most elite jet-setters are agog over a different sort of consumer toy.
The subject of their fascination is the upcoming release of a new personal business airplane, the Learjet 85." Source: Jon Hilkevitch: Getting Around. Chicago Tribune.

A jet-setter is a member of the jet set.
But the word set is usually used with things, e.g., 'a set of golf clubs' and for me it sounds unusual with people.

Could I also say that a member of the teenage set is a teenage-setter, and a member of the white-haired set is a white-haired-setter?

An example sentence: I'm neither a teenage-setter nor a white-haired-setter. I'm somewhere in between.

• suzi br

English / England
    Good question!
    Jet-setter is an established phrase, the other two are not and would seem odd unless you were obviously using them for comic effect.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    A red setter is a breed of dog: a white-haired setter sounds like a cross between that and a Sealyham terrier. :)

I think 'jet set' relies on its rhyme for its success. 'Jet-setter' and 'jet-setting' took off, but I've never seen it applied to any other set.

< Previous | Next >