1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

"a judge" in volleyball, basketball, badminton, squash, golf

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Amura, Mar 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amura New Member

    Hi folks!
    I need to know how "a judge" is called in volleyball, basketball, badminton, squash and golf (if any exists) games. I know we use "referee" for football, rugby and hokey, whereas "umpire" for baseball, tennis and cricket.
    I´d appreciate your help a lot. Thanks.
  2. catlady60

    catlady60 Senior Member

    Nazareth, PA
    English-US (New York City)
    In the speficic terminology of basketball and volleyball, the "judge" is known as the referee.
    Badminiton officials are called umpires. Squash officials are termed the "marker" and the "referee." You can look here for the entire glossary.
    In general, sports "judges" are known as officials. Specifically, they're known as "officials" in golf.

    In ice hockey, the assistant referees are called linesmen.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page