a just and peaceful settlement

NewAmerica

Mandarin
Is "a just and peaceful settlement" "a just and peaceful settlement between two sides concerned? Or "a just and peaceful settlement by court"?

Shortly before his death President John Kennedy urged Americans to see peace not as a utopian dream but as a practical goal. “World peace,” Kennedy said, “like community peace, does not require that each man love his neighbor—it requires only that they live together in mutual tolerance, submitting their disputes to a just and peaceful settlement.”

Source:Scientific American. John Hogan (
Dear Rep. Ocasio-Cortez, Please Work to End War)

• kentix

English - U.S.
    To me, "submitting" implies that if they can't work it out themselves then they would need to submit it to someone/something else (which could be a court but might not be) that would make a final decision that they both agree to respect.

"submit their disputes...to a settlement" is a vague term and probably purposely so. It's meant to be the description of a principle, not a specific action.

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    Thank you.

To me, "submitting" implies that if they can't work it out themselves then they would need to submit it to someone/something else (which could be a court but might not be) that would make a final decision that they both agree to respect.

"submit their disputes...to a settlement" is a vague term and probably purposely so. It's meant to be the description of a principle, not a specific action.

This is exactly the nuance that I wanted to know.:)

< Previous | Next >