a key to all questions

Sun14

Chinese
Hello, my friends,

I was wondering whether the underlined part is idiomatic:

"As far as I am concerned, if we could use the Internet as a tool rather than a key to all questions, you will learn more efficiently."

Thoughts: I intend to say we could not rely too much on the Internet. We should learn from our teachers at the same time.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    If I understand your intended meaning, which I may not, I think you need to say 'as a tool rather than as the answer key to all questions.'

The meaning of 'a key to all questions' is unclear to me. You are looking for the answers, not the questions, it seems to me.

Sun14

Chinese
    If I understand your intended meaning, which I may not, I think you need to say 'as a tool rather than as the answer key to all questions.'

The meaning of 'a key to all questions' is unclear to me. You are looking for the answers, not the questions, it seems to me.
    Got it. Thank you very much.

Sun14

Chinese

I was wondering whether the sentence would be more clear if I add "alternative" before "tool":

"If we could use the Internet as an alternative tool rather than an answer key to all questions, you will learn more efficiently."

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    It doesn't make the meaning you describe in post #1 any clearer.

If you say something is an alternative you should tell us what it is an alternative to, which is not part of your original context.
    That makes this a new question, needing its own thread.

Sun14

Chinese
    It doesn't make the meaning you describe in post #1 any clearer.

If you say something is an alternative you should tell us what it is an alternative to, which is not part of your original context.
    That makes this a new question, needing its own thread.
    Got it. Thank you very much.

< Previous | Next >