a kind of skirt-like short pants--?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by andychen, Jul 6, 2006.

  1. andychen Senior Member

    Chinese, Taiwan
    Hi, everyone, what do you think of the following?

    There is a kind of skirt-like short pants. It looks like a skirt from its look, but actually it’s short pants.
    1. What should I call this kind of skirt-like short pants?
    2. Please correct my errors you find in any of my words here.

    Thanks in advance for your help.
  2. GenJen54

    GenJen54 Senior Member

    Downright Pleasant, USA
    USA - English
    Hi andy,

    There are two answers to your question. It depends on how "short" the pants are.

    A "skort" (skirt + short) is actually a pair of shorts with an extra flap of fabric over the front that gives it the appearance of being a pair of shorts. Most skorts are above the knee.

    We also have culottes, which are longer, very wide-legged pants. Because the legs of the pants are so wide and have so much material, when the legs are close together, it gives the appearance that one is wearing a skirt.

    THIS is a skort. So is THIS.

    THESE are culottes.
  3. Brioche

    Brioche Senior Member

    Australia English
    Women's culottes do not have to be as long as those in the link.
    Just down to the knee, and they are still culottes in English.
  4. roxcyn

    roxcyn Senior Member

    American English [AmE]
  5. roxcyn

    roxcyn Senior Member

    American English [AmE]
    Okay, I have never heard culottes, but then I don't wear them. Haha ;)
  6. Brioche

    Brioche Senior Member

    Australia English
    The word comes from French, and originally meant knee-breeches.

    "culotte courte" = shorts, such as you might wear playing tennis.

    "petite culotte" = are women's undergarments, which barely cover the salient parts.
  7. thacerine New Member

    USA (English)
    Capris just implies length - too long for shorts but not long enough for pants. It does not imply anything skirt-like about them ;)

    Another clothing item (or simply a term) that has come into fashion lately is "Gauchos." I suspect we stole that term from another language, but they are a loose version of capris and could be considered somewhat skirt-like. (I would post a picture, but it seems I'm not allowed yet!)
  8. mirandolina

    mirandolina Senior Member

    Padua, Italy
    Scotland - English
    When I was at school (a LONG time ago),for gym we wore a garment called a DIVIDED SKIRT. I guess that certainly dates me...... :(
  9. Sallyb36

    Sallyb36 Senior Member

    Liverpool UK
    British UK
    It's a SKORT
  10. I agree Sally. If only I had the legs to wear them in this hot weather. :(


Share This Page