a knotty problem: any,every,each

changwecanbelievein

Chinese
Hello.

This is a "multiple choice question.(single answer)"

______student in our class likes maths.

A.Every B.Any C.Each

The answer is A.

Of course A is correct. But why B and C are incorrect? I Think they are grammatically correct and make sense too.

I've looked up the dictionary.

any det.,pron.,adv.

det. 2
used with singular countable nouns to refer to one of a number of things or people,when it does not matter which one. i.e. Any colour will do. Any teacher will tell you that students learn at different rates. (From OALD 7th)

each det.,pron

det.
used to refer to every one of two or more people or things,when you are thinking about them separately. i.e. Each answer is worth 20 points. Each student has been given their own emails address. (From OALD 7th)

I hope to see your instruction and am very grateful to you for that.

Last edited:
  • owlman5

English-US
    Of the three answers offered, "every" seems ordinary. Though I can't think of any rule forbidding their use in this sentence, both "each" and "any" seem unlikely to me.

Perhaps those who wrote the test expect you to pick the most probable response. If that is true, this is a difficult question that many speakers, even fluent ones, would have a hard time answering.

changwecanbelievein

Chinese
    Of the three answers offered, "every" seems ordinary. Though I can't think of any rule forbidding their use in this sentence, both "each" and "any" seem unlikely to me.

Perhaps those who wrote the test expect you to pick the most probable response. If that is true, this is a difficult question that many speakers, even fluent ones, would have a hard time answering.

Thank you for your experiemtial tips Owlman5. In fact they aren't the best answer in the academic field. But thanks again.
    As I've said, by now I haven't found any grammatical rules that don't allow man to use "each" and "any" in that example.

Andygc

British English
    There is no grammatical rule that prevents their use. What was the purpose of the test? Was it to test grammar, or was it intended to test your understanding of normal English usage?

< Previous | Next >