"a la 'Seinfeld head-pat' style"

Nehir

Turkish
"I highly suggest the tag-team approach if you must go in cold to a networking event. Pick your partner wisely and get your signals down if you need to be rescued, à la ‘Seinfeld head-pat’ style." (source: Scott Stratten's Unmarketing)

The writer mentions how difficult it is to go to a networking event if you do not know anybody at the event. But, he says, if you still must go in cold to such a event, he suggests tag-team approach and the rest is quoted above. What does he mean by "Seinfeld head-pat", and does it have a connection with "tag team" approach, as in team wrestling, if yes, what is the connection? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Copyright

American English
    Welcome to the forum. :)

A tag-team in wrestling is a two-man (or woman) team. One person wrestles with an opponent while the other member of the team stays on the sidelines. When things get difficult, the person in the ring goes over (if he can) and tags or touches his partner, who then enters the ring while the original wrestler sits on the sidelines. So it means having a partner on the sidelines to keep an eye on you and be ready to help you.

I don't know specifically what the Seinfeld head-pat is, but in general this refers to a physical (and prearranged) sign you send your partner on the sidelines -- pulling your earlobe, taking your glasses off, touching the side of your nose, etc. (This is a little more discreet than running over and touching your partner.) When your partner sees your sign, he or she will come over and rescue you with some excuse.

Nehir

Turkish
    Thank you so much. Your reply has been so enlightening. About the Seinfeld part,
    maybe there is reference to the Seinfeld sitcom but I have never watched it, therefore have no clue

Copyright

American English
    I've seen many episodes without seeing this maneuver -- but it's possible that Scott Stratten is referencing a single show that used the "head pat" to humorous effect (or perhaps it's a recurring gesture that I've simply missed).

There are subtle signals you can send your partner -- touching your nose, pulling your earlobe, taking out your phone, twisting the ring on your finger, adjusting a pocket handkerchief -- but patting your head would be an unnatural and very noticeable sign ... which would be in keeping with the humorous nature of the program.

< Previous | Next >