a ladder

< Previous | Next >

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
Hi,
“More and more parents from other countries have sent their children to the USA to get schooling because they think it may the ladder up which their children may climb to a better life.”
I have a doubt about the underlined part. Should I be: “it may be the ladder by which their children may climb up to the better life.”
Am I right?
Thanks.

• mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    "it may be the ladder by which their children may climb up to the better life"
    Do you mean I should omit "to"? or both up and to?
    Is "by which" possible?
    Thanks.

Driven

USA/English
    They both sound a little awkward to me. I would say,
    "... because they think it may be a ladder that their children can climb to a better life."

Or even, "... because they think it is a ladder to a better life."

(I actually like the word stepping stone better than ladder but that may be changing the text too much.)

Hope it helps!

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Thank you, Driven.
    I will rewrite your sentence into the two simple sentences. Please let me know if it is correct:
    1. ... because they think it may be a ladder.
    2. Their children can climb the ladder to a better life.
    Thanks.

Driven

USA/English
    It sounds awkward as two separate sentences. If you are translating something you might not want to change the text too much but if you are just trying to say what the sentence says, you should say, "...because they think it may be a stepping stone to a better life." (or "a steppiing stone to a better life for their children." but it is obvious that the better life and the stepping stone are for their children so you don't really need that part.)

You can use ladder too but "stepping stone" is a common term that means what your sentence says. If you use ladder, you could say, "...because they think it is a ladder that their children can climb to a better life."

< Previous | Next >