a large portion of population

amirmg

Farsi
Hi friends,

Do you think if I can use a large portion of appropriately in the following sentence?

It was not too many years ago that having a car was a distant dream for a large portion of population, but thanks to the advances of technology and finance, in this day and age almost everyone owns a vehicle.

Thanks,
Amir

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    If you don't mean a specific population, then perhaps "population" is not the right word to use.

Generally, when we are talking about a population, we have already defined which one it is, or else we are talking about the population of a specific country. In your original sentence, "It was not too many years ago that having a car was a distant dream for a large portion of [the] population, but thanks to the advances of technology and finance, in this day and age almost everyone owns a vehicle", it seems clear to me that we are not talking in general. The population of the world is 7 billion, the number of cars is 1 billion.

We are therefore talking about a specific population, even though you haven't said what it is. Where is your quote from? The USA (population 325 million, 250 million cars)? Iran (20 million people, 7 million cars)? Which population is this?

Even if you meant the whole world, you would have to specify "a large portion of the world's population".

amirmg

Farsi
    So complete just like your earlier posts Keith.
    The sentence is a part of my essay about the below subject.

Nowadays there is a growing trend of private car ownership. Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages or environmental problems associated with this?

The paragraph I extracted the sentence is:

It was not too many years ago that having a car was a distant dream for a large portion of the population, but thanks to the advances of technology and finance facilities nowadays most car manufacturers provide their customers, in this day and age almost every family owns a vehicle. Many an expert of finance holds the idea that not only can more production of cars benefit the economy, but it also helps researchers to do their research about new means of transport consuming clean energies. That fossil fuel resources will run out sooner or later is an indisputable fact.

Additionally, I changed everyone to every family.

Thanks for your complete answer.

< Previous | Next >