a large RAM or a lot of RAM

amby

Banned
chinese
Should ' RAM" be treated as an uncountable nounr or countable noun ? When you indicates a big memory, which one is correct between the following two sentences? A large RAM or a lot of RAM? Or is there any other way to say it?

When buying a computer mainly for games, buy one with a large RAM. or..... with a lot of RAM.

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    I think it's always a lot of RAM, as the M stands for the non-count noun 'memory', so RAM is non-count too. The computer has a lot of RAM, a lot of ROM, but a large RAM drive (where it's modifying a count noun).

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Good point, but I don't think computers have large memories, do they? Or good memories, the way people have? They have a lot of memory: so M matches the non-count use of 'memory' with computers.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    Generally, I agree: "a lot of RAM."

However, engineers think of a computer's RAM as a component* of that computer. That component can be large or small, like a disk drive. Just as one would say "a large disk" or "a large screen," I've also heard "a large RAM," mostly from engineers. I wouldn't consider it an error, but it's not standard usage in the world at large.

< Previous | Next >