• murciana

Spanish - Spain
    Usamos y pico cuando nos pasamos un poco de la cantidad/unidad
    Las once y pico = ... pasados unos minutos de las once
    Cuatro euros y pico = cuatro euros y algunos céntimos

aztlaniano

English (Aztlán, US sector)
    We arrived just after eleven.
    It could have been "just after", but "pico" is quite vague. It was definitely after 11 and it wasn't yet 12 and probably it wasn't even getting close to 12. It might well have been 11:30, but the speaker doesn't know exactly what time it was.
    Referring to money, I would say that "once y pico" is "eleven euros (or whatever) and change".

jasminasul

Spanish Andalusia
    It´s exactly as Aztlaniano says. It´s a "chunk" of time, probably less than 30 minutes,but not necessarily less than ten.

dcblueeyes

English - USA
    BUT it depends on the practice in the country where you are. In some places, pico is just a few minutes; in others, it’s uncertain; and in, at least, the Dominican Rpublic, once y pico means it’s almost twelve ( or generally, almost the next hour/dollar/unit of measure.

Foraneo

Español Argentina (tierra adentro)
    BUT it depends on the practice in the country where you are.
    Yes. You're right. Here in Argentina it generally means into the next half hour. It's fairly common expression here, but better refrain to say it in Chile.

gengo

American English
    I might say "some time after eleven."
    That seems like the best option if we want to include a range of about 11:01 to 11:30-ish. I'd say that "a bit" or "a little" would include no more than about 10-15 minutes after. Of course, these are all very subjective and gray.

< Previous | Next >