a late night

hly_abc

Banned
Chinese
Hi, everyone:

Map out tomorrow Before you leave, prioritize the next day. Plan important tasks for morning so you won't buy yourself a late night.

The article's title is "Go Home Earlier"

I wonder if "a late night" means "a late night of the next day(tomorrow)" or "today" in this context.

I think the sentence means one'll be able to have enough time get important tasks done if they're arranged for morning the day before, thus he/she will not take them home or work overtime the next day.

Best wishes

• cropje_jnr

English - Australia
    Hi,

Where is this text from? The English is quite poor - it should read "plan important tasks for the morning" (but it isn't clear whether this means the morning of the same day or the next morning). Also, "to buy a late night" doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

hly_abc

Banned
    Chinese
    Hi, sorry I cannot post a link. Because the total number of my posts has not reached 30 yet.
    It's from "Reader's Digest".'
    And I also think "the" is needed here.

LINK

cropje_jnr

English - Australia
    I would say it means plan important tasks for the morning so as not to have to stay back late to do them the following night, but I really don't see any way to be absolutely sure of this.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I've looked at the original.
    The bit about "so you won't buy yourself a late night" is a mystery to me as well - unless it means you risk having a late night at the office tomorrow if you haven't arranged to do the most important things in the morning.
    It could be that, I suppose.

Edit: Oops, late - ah well, I'm supporting Cropje_jnr's post so that's OK :)

jamesjiao

New Zealand English and Mandarin Chinese
    I have a feeling that it (buying a late night) means having to 'buy a lot of coffee and food' to keep yourself awake through the late night, a penalty to pay for not having prioritized yourself earlier in the day.

< Previous | Next >