A legal document that anyone should submit to a country's embassy

< Previous | Next >

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
What do you usually call the legal document which anyone as a criminal record check certificate should submit to the embassy of the secondary governement in order to prove their clear background to be able to receive that country's work, tourist, business etc. visa?

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    All English-speaking nations will have their own name for these. Not all countries require such a document, and where they do, it may be restricted to certain types of visa applications.

The generic name is "a background check" - specific names/terms will depend on the country in question.

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    All English-speaking nations will have their own name for these. Not all countries require such a document, and where they do, it may be restricted to certain types of visa applications.

The generic name is "a background check" - specific names/terms will depend on the country in question.
    Aha, thank you Paul. But have you ever heard terms like "clearance certificate" or "police check certificate" or even "criminal record check certificat" for this specific purpose?

Meanwhile, please let me know what would this piece of papare be called? A "document "or a "certificate"? :rolleyes:

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    ... have you ever heard terms like "clearance certificate" or "police check certificate" or even "criminal record check certificate" for this specific purpose?...
    Neither I nor Google Ngram Viewer have ever heard of the latter two. "Clearance certificate exists, but of course it has a far wider range of meaning. Criminal record check also exists, and is frequently heard in Britain. The website "Criminal record checks when you apply for a role" explains more and states that a disclosure certificate is issued.

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    Thank you Keith, but as you mentioned regarding what I said: (But have you ever heard terms like "clearance certificate" or "police check certificate" or even "criminal record check certificat" for this specific purpose?)

Neither I nor Google Ngram Viewer have ever heard of the latter two.
    But later you said:

Criminal record check also exists, and is frequently heard in Britain.
    I also visited the web site you linked in your post and it seems too close to the meaning I'm looking for.
    Now I cannot pick among Paul's "background check certificate" and your "criminal record check certificate". I wonder if you could give me a hand to clarify this ambiguity.

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    Which nation are you thinking of?

I don't think either of us mentioned either of those.
    I see that I cannot have a universal term for that Paul. But I need a term which could be understood to everyone. So please let me know what shall I use in this regard as a term so that it could be understood to the most English speakers?

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    You are looking for an option that includes three factors: a check of criminal records that leads to a certificate of clearance. So any phrase that includes all three will be understandable by anyone who reads English in any country.

However, as you have realised, the exact phrase used in countries that carry out such checks will differ from one authority to another. And there may be different levels of checking - in Britain for instance, is it a check for any criminal record, or those specifically related to offences against children? So you see why there is no single answer.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    But I need a term which could be understood by everyone.
    The generic name is "a background check"
    This also applies to the piece of paper/the form - there is no need for the words "certificate/document".

Diplomat: [who hands you a form] "Could you fill out this background check for me, please? It is all part of the procedure."

< Previous | Next >