A letter <is><has been> written

< Previous | Next >

Farrukh111

Urdu
Could you pls provide difference in following sentences:
A letter is written. (Present indefinite passive)
A letter has been written. (Present perfect passive.)

• lingobingo

English - England
    The difference in what sense? Grammar, or meaning/usage?

One is in the simple present, the other in the present perfect. If you wanted to say that this was happening right now, you would need to use the present progressive: A letter is being written.

I write a letter (present tense, active voice, with both subject and object)
    A letter is written (present tense, passive voice, where the patient/receiver of the action has become the subject of the verb, but no agent/doer of the verb is stated)
    I have written a letter (persent perfect tense, active voice)
    A letter has been written (present perfect tense, passive voice, as explained above)

Farrukh111

Urdu
    The difference in what sense? Grammar, or meaning/usage?

One is in the simple present, the other in the present perfect. If you wanted to say that this was happening right now, you would need to use the present progressive: A letter is being written.

I write a letter (present tense, active voice, with both subject and object)
    A letter is written (present tense, passive voice, where the patient/receiver of the action has become the subject of the verb, but no agent/doer of the verb is stated)
    I have written a letter (persent perfect tense, active voice)
    A letter has been written (present perfect tense, passive voice, as explained above)
    Yes , I want to difference in meaning of both sentences.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Do you have some context for this, please (a scenario in which you'd use one of these, or you've seen one of them used)?

As a standalone sentence "A letter is written" isn't very idiomatic.

Farrukh111

Urdu
    Could you pls provide difference of present indefinite passive and present perfect passive?
    Also provide meaning of below sentences.
    1.The sports news are added in newspaper.
    2. The sports news have been added in newspaper.

heypresto

English - England
    1. The clinic is cleaned by them. 'They' regularly/habitually clean the clinic.
    2.The clinic has been cleaned by them. At some point in the past, 'they' cleaned the clinic.

< Previous | Next >