A letter of appreciation = Citation?

goldencypress

India - Malayalam
Can we call a letter of appreciation from an educational institution to a member of the faculty a CITATION?

Or, are citatons restricted only to armed forces?

• natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I assume you are referring to this meaning of citation:
    A mention of a praiseworthy act in an official report, especially that of a member of the armed forces in wartime.
    ‘the citation described him as an officer of extreme gallantry’
    ‘The Marine Corps is usually conservative in distributing medals, but the battles of March and April here are certain to bring a significant number of citations for bravery, officials said.’

‘Another form of participatory award is the unit citation, which recognizes those who serve in a unit that accomplished its mission in a superior manner.’
    ‘He won his own Bronze Star that day, and the citation praises him for providing assistance to a damaged Swift boat ‘despite enemy bullets flying about him.’’
    citation | Definition of citation in English by Oxford Dictionaries

We generally don't use citation this way in a educational or a research context.

goldencypress

India - Malayalam
    golden, the example is fine and non-rare.
    Chancellor's Citation Awards | Chancellor's Honors Banquet

https://honorsbanquet.utk.edu/nominations/citations/

Extraordinary Customer Service. Recipients of the Citation for Extraordinary Customer Service are those who, through their actions, bring honor to the university.

==========================

Note this meaning as well. In general a citation is a notice or it expresses recognition: In the case of a traffic policeman, you don't WANT the recognition!

Received a Citation?

If you have received a citation, a notice will be mailed to you within 2-3 weeks. The letter will explain the necessary steps required to clear the citation. It is important that you follow the instructions provided to you to avoid any late penalties or further enforcement actions.

Last edited:

goldencypress

India - Malayalam
    golden, the example is fine and non-rare.

Note this meaning as well. In general a citation is a notice or it expresses recognition: In the case of a traffic policeman, you don't WANT the recognition!

Received a Citation?

If you have received a citation, a notice will be mailed to you within 2-3 weeks. The letter will explain the necessary steps required to clear the citation. It is important that you follow the instructions provided to you to avoid any late penalties or further enforcement actions.
    Aha! No.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    The meaning of citation 'summons to appear in court' is North American only, I believe.

The quotation in relation to coaching is fine. It is just more common in the military context. The situation is usually when someone has been nominated for some award and some documents that support the nomination represent the citations. The documents tend to be written specifically for the award, and I'm not sure 'a letter of appreciation' (in the opening post) counts as one.

goldencypress

India - Malayalam
    The meaning of citation 'summons to appear in court' is North American only, I believe.

The quotation in relation to coaching is fine. It is just more common in the military context. The situation is usually when someone has been nominated for some award and some documents that support the nomination represent the citations. The documents tend to be written specifically for the award, and I'm not sure 'a letter of appreciation' (in the opening post) counts as one.
    Thank you.

< Previous | Next >