A level one on standby (ER)

VD15

french - france
Hi,

I've been watching a Canadian TV show. A girl's been hit by a car. At the ER, the doctor says " let's get a level one on standby and a crash cart. We may have to intubate."

I don't get what the level one is. Does anyone have an idea?

Thank you for your help!

• JustKate

Can you tell us the name of the show and a little bit more of the context (e.g., what time period is the show set)? It doesn't mean much to me, though it might to someone who speaks Canadian English or someone familiar with ER terminology. But in case nobody like that happens to come around, some context will help the rest of us. Also, it's a forum requirement.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Luitzen is right (it's her case; the victim is a girl). "On standby" means that they'll alert the level one center that the latter should be prepared to receive the patient in case transfer proves to be necessary.

AliBadass

persian
    What does ''level one'' mean here in this context from the series Prison Break season1, episode1 while the judge is imposing a sentence on the accused?

The judge: I find it incumbent that you see the inside of a prison cell, Mr. Scofield. It says here that you've requested to be incarcerated somewhere near your home here in Chicago. I'm willing to honor that. The closest level one facility would be Fox River State Penitentiary. As for the term of your sentence, I'm setting it at five years.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    Most U.S. prison systems rate their prisons by security levels. Level 1 is the lowest level of security, for prisoners who pose little risk of escape or violence. Level 5 is the highest.

AliBadass

persian
    Most U.S. prison systems rate their prisons by security levels. Level 1 is the lowest level of security, for prisoners who pose little risk of escape or violence. Level 5 is the highest.
    I really appreciate your answer but are you sure? Because after that the accused's lawyer kind of objects and says ''that's maximum security, Your Honor''.

That's why I thought you might have mentioned it vice versa.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    Yes, I'm sure. Level 1 is normally minimum security. There is, however, no national standard. Each of the 50 states can use its own system. (California, for example, has four levels, not five.) Maybe this state has 1 as the maximum.

< Previous | Next >