a level that is much higher than its real value

shorty1

Korean
Hello.

I found the definition of 'bubble' in the dictionary below.

taken from Bubble - Definition for English-Language Learners from Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary

a period when many people invest money in something and cause its value to rise to a level that is much higher than its real value until finally its value drops very suddenly

I think parallel structure in the part in bold is broken and the part should be changed this way:

a level that is much higher than the level of its real value it has

What is your opinion?

Thank you for your help.

• RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    I don't know about should but it could be changed to this: ... a level that is much higher than the level its real value has ...

However, stylistically, one tends to avoid unnecessary repetition of words. I can see why you might think the parallel structure is broken, but in reality the original is perfectly normal and correct. There may be cases where you want to emphasize certain things and then you keep to strict parallelism.

shorty1

Korean
    I don't know about should but it could be changed to this: ... a level that is much higher than the level its real value has ...

However, stylistically, one tends to avoid unnecessary repetition of words. I can see why you might think the parallel structure is broken, but in reality the original is perfectly normal and correct. There may be cases where you want to emphasize certain things and then you keep to strict parallelism.

Thank you very much, RedwoodGrove. :)

That's very helpful.

< Previous | Next >