A level that was never reached, neither in 1997

HocusPocus93

Italiano- Italia
Hello everybody,
I have a question about double negation in English. My professor told me that sometimes it is possible. I have to translate from Italian and I have to say that The fiscal pressure has reached a record level, that wasn't reached neither in 1997, when eurotax brought the fiscal pressure to 43.7%.
Is it correct to use double negation here?
Thanks

• sdgraham

USA English
    No it is not. Neither is "neither" the proper word here.

Try: "The fiscal pressure has reached a record level - a level wasn't even reached in 1997, when eurotax brought the fiscal pressure to 43.7%."

Unless we know precisely what your professor was talking about, we cannot comment on that. I suggest you avoid the temptation by some learners to seize on obscure exceptions.

[cross-posted with Copyright]

STINGGUY

Español
    Hello everybody,
    I have a question about double negation in English. My professor told me that sometimes it is possible. I have to translate from Italian and I have to say that The fiscal pressure has reached a record level, that wasn't reached neither in 1997, when eurotax brought the fiscal pressure to 43.7%.
    Is it correct to use double negation here?
    Thanks
    Hello HocusPocus93

"The fiscal pressure has reached a record level, that wasn't reached neither in 1997, when eurotax brought the fiscal pressure to 43.7%".

I would choose an alternative translation:

Fiscal pressure has beaten its historical record. Indeed, the current level hadn't been reached, not even in 1997, when eurotax brought the fiscal pressure to 43.7%.

< Previous | Next >