a <lifetime> of on-the-street law enforcement programming

< Previous | Next >

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
- We get the best of both worlds. The fastest reflexes modern technology has to offer, onboard computer-assisted memory, and a lifetime of on-the-street law enforcement programming. It is my great pleasure to present to you, Robocop.
RoboCop, movie

How do you see the word 'lifetime' here?
Thanks.

• SReynolds

Hungarian
    Lifetime is the length of a person's life. There's nothing odd about the sentence, it simply says that the person has worked as a cop all his life.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Lifetime is the length of a person's life. There's nothing odd about the sentence, it simply says that the person has worked as a cop all his life.
    But he actually didn't. He couldn't join the force at infancy. At least at legal adulthood, I think. Why do you think it couldn't be about this:
    lifetime
    ■ the duration of a thing's existence or usefulness
    fifteen shops closed during the lifetime of the scheme

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    But he actually didn't. He couldn't join the force at infancy. At least at legal adulthood, I think. Why do you think it couldn't be about this:
    lifetime
    ■ the duration of a thing's existence or usefulness
    fifteen shops closed during the lifetime of the scheme
    But we use logic too! A person who has worked as "lifetime in public service" obviously didn't start the day he was born. It is understood that the life referred to is the "working life".

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    But we use logic too! A person who has worked as "lifetime in public service" obviously didn't start the day he was born. It is understood that the life referred to is the "working life".
    But look, RoboCop is really programmed to do "on-the-street law enforcement". Do you mean that the collocation "a lifetime of XXXXX programming" as regards a machine doesn't make sense?

Last edited:

Linkway

British English
    Perhaps it means that the robot has been programmed with the range of experiences, situations, etc, and the best ways of dealing with them equivalent to a human cop's working lifetime.

SReynolds

Hungarian
    But this doesn't fit the context, the human who was turned into RoboCop was actually a police officer.

SReynolds

Hungarian
    Well, I don't know much about the movie, but the plot's basically that a police officer gets severely injured and consecutively has his limbs amputated and replaced with mechatronics, effectively turning him into a robot. So he's more half-man half-machine than machine.

< Previous | Next >